Lead Data Engineer
CME Group is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. We're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.
To learn more about what a career at CME Group can offer you, visit us at www.wherefuturesaremade.com .
The selected candidate will join the CME Engineering and Execution team in Belfast as a Lead of Software Engineering, initially supporting the Enterprise Data Flow team.
This individual is responsible for leading external market data projects that must achieve a unique blend of low latency performance and scalability to seamlessly facilitate the busiest trading days in the world economy, and ensure rock-solid reliability and integrity, all while undergoing rapid release cycles. Achieving these goals will require an understanding both the underlying technology and the development, testing, and deployment lifecycle of the applications.
The candidate must be able to solve problem creatively, communicate effectively, and possess the ability to lead others to achieve the critical mission of the team.
Although initially working in Enterprise Data Flow team space, the engineering and execution team also develop a variety of trading and post-trade solutions, supporting our exchange and clearing business.
Internal mobility and flexibility are a key part to our agile approach to technology delivery. The successful candidate, throughout their career, will form a key part in driving our success across technology, and will find opportunities to work in a variety of projects and technologies, beyond their initial team and specialism. Principal Accountabilities
- Plays a lead role in preliminary story review, providing constructive feedback and input on both work effort estimation
- Plays a lead role in working with analysts to interpret high level requirements for complex, large scale initiatives and decomposing them into independent stories and sub-tasks for the team.
- Leads the delivery of quality architecture and software across the application. Liaising with team to develop a streamlined effective approach.
- Actively participates and leads design sessions from core application to CI/CD pipelines.
- Works closely with the Testers in developing automated tests, verifying and reporting on actual results vs. expected results.
- Escalates issues and risks as required to management and team members.
- Troubleshoots application issues.
- Reports on/tracks application defects.
- Identifies environment needs in support of application needs.
- Owns and maintains release collateral.
- Owns and drives automation efforts across the application for CI/CD, resilience, alerting and monitoring.
- Defines key metrics driving quality and performance. Support & Maintenance: Maintain your application as a service. Take responsibility and ownership of system issues to ensure service is restored to customers with minimal impact.
- Completes management responsibilities within the team, leads agile scrum to direct all day-to-day activity across the team to achieve successful execution and delivery.
- Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate, and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development
- Complete all performance management activities for reports as required throughout the year, and by the deadlines.
- Set appropriate objectives for individuals in the team based on level, job functions and team goals. Continuously review objectives to ensure they remain relevant and achievable.
- Expected to develop network of relationships within the organization to achieve results and to effectively communicate vision and status both within/across teams as well as to management.
- Drives continuous improvement efforts by identifying and championing practical means of reducing time to market while maintaining high quality products (i.e. - process improvements/automation opportunities).
- Embraces and enforces CME Group SDLC and information security standards.
- Put the customer first, take ownership of and manage incidents and outages to a successful conclusion, whether ultimately it is an issue with an application in your portfolio, or not.
- Work with support teams to ensure all escalation lists and call-trees for support issues are kept up-to-date.
- Maintain a knowledge repository for system issues, ensuring sufficient follow-up on issues, to fix, prevent re-occurrence or improve logging/monitoring.
- Complete knowledge sharing with partner teams on issues, to improve issue management, and understanding across 1st and 2nd Level support teams.
- Bachelor's degree (with honours) or equivalent/better strongly preferred, but substantial relevant experience could substitute
- Significant experience in leading technical teams, and providing technical oversight and direction to projects
- Strong knowledge and experience of SDLC methodologies; agile is a big advantage.
- Expertise in core Java development skills
- Expertise in Object Orientated design and Design patterns.
- Ability to understand and absorb business & technology concepts quickly.
- Experience with data architecture
- Experience in developing and automating solutions directly related to Continuous Integration/ Continuous Delivery and infrastructure automation
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience developing applications in AWS
- Experience testing in a story-driven, agile environment.
- Prior experience working in financial services/exchange space.
- Prior experience working with BDD methodologies and automated acceptance criteria.
- Prior experience using Confluence, JIRA, or other Atlassian tools.
- Fortify, Sonar, experience.