Lead Front End Software Engineer
- Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- 23 Apr 19
Lead Front End Software Engineer
CME Group is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. We're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.
To learn more about what a career at CME Group can offer you, visit us at www.wherefuturesaremade.com .
Lead Software Engineer (CME One Team)
CME Technology and Support Services is relentlessly focused on developing the worlds most advanced electronic trading, post trade processing and risk management systems. We are the world's leading and most diverse derivatives market place providing risk management solutions that help drive the global economy. Our customers include leading investment and commercial banks, hedge funds, proprietary trading firms, pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, asset managers, corporations, and individual traders.
The selected candidate will join the CME Engineering and Execution team in Belfast as a Lead Software Engineer, initially supporting full stack development for the CME One team. The Belfast team is a high performing group of individuals that deliver on a broad range of functions including systems/business analysis, software development and quality assurance services. The team is responsible from initial request review, impact assessment, and prioritization through to solution implementation.
The CME One distribution team is responsible for the delivery of innovative, efficient, scalable, customer-centric software engineering solutions that expand the access to CME Group markets via the enhanced usage of customer facing distribution services.
Although initially working in the CME One distribution team, the engineering and execution team also develop a variety of trading and post-trade solutions, supporting our exchange and clearing business. Internal mobility and flexibility are a key part to our agile approach to technology delivery. The successful candidate, throughout their career, will form a key part in driving our success across technology, and will find opportunities to work in a variety of projects and technologies, beyond their initial team and specialism.
• Hands on technical delivery lead, building consensus on detailed design and architecture plans for complex, large scale efforts.
• Leads code reviews, proactively identifying and mitigating potential issues and defects.
• Defines key metrics driving code optimization and re-factoring.
• Plays a lead role in preliminary story review from a technical perspective, providing constructive feedback and input on both work effort estimation as well as architecture/design improvements.
• Plays a lead role in working with analysts to interpret high level requirements for complex, large scale initiatives and decomposing them into independent stories and sub-tasks for the team.
• Expected to develop network of relationships within the organization to achieve results and to effectively communicate vision and status both within/across teams as well as to management.
• Drives continuous improvement efforts by identifying and championing practical means of reducing time to market while maintaining high quality products (i.e. - process improvements/automation opportunities).
• Embraces and enforces CME Group SDLC and information security standards.
• Completes management responsibilities within the team, directs all day-to-day work activity across the team to achieve successful execution and delivery.
• Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate, and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development.
• Works closely with the team manager to help them complete all performance management activities for reports as required throughout the year, and by the deadlines.
• Works closely with the team manager to set appropriate objectives for individuals in the team based on level, job functions and team goals. Continuously review objectives to ensure they remain relevant and achievable.
• Bachelor's degree (with honours) or equivalent/better strongly preferred, but substantial relevant experience could substitute
• Significant experience in leading the delivery of technical teams, and providing technical oversight and direction to projects, either as a development lead, architect or development manager
• Strong knowledge and experience of SDLC methodologies; agile is a big advantage.
• Expertise in Object Oriented Design and Patterns
• Experience in Java
• Experience coding in a story-driven, agile environment.
• Prior experience working in financial services/exchange space.
• Prior experience working with BDD methodologies and automated acceptance criteria.
• Prior experience using Confluence, JIRA, or other Atlassian tools.
• Experience in code coverage and code scanning tools