Aon are currently recruiting a Pension Accountant to join our team in Birmingham. Working within the Payroll, Accounts and Treasury Team, the Pension Accountant will be primarily responsible for processing the accounts for a portfolio of pension schemes, producing the annual accounts and assisting with internal and external audits.
Headquartered in London, Aon Plc is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
The UK pensions landscape is evolving at a rapid pace. Economic challenges, legislative change, an ageing population and asset volatility pose a wide variety of risks and challenges to pension schemes. Trustees and scheme sponsors are faced with a range of decisions on difficult topics from managing risk to improving member engagement, setting an investment strategy to managing DC plans.
Aon Retirement Solutions’ market-leading capabilities and award-winning expertise make us the perfect partner to help clients through their pension challenges. We can provide integrated and comprehensive solutions across actuarial, plan administration, investment and insurance disciplines, enabling us to serve our clients' unique needs every step of the way.
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
About the Role
- As a Team Member of Payroll, Accounts and Treasury (PAT), you will follow procedures and respond to queries related to client payrolls, payment of pensions to pensioners and the creation of financial statements and reports
- The Pensions Accountant will produce and check financial statements for client Pensions Schemes
- Process complex non –standard cases and answers complex queries and escalations from the client, colleagues and HMRC within legislative timeframes and takes part in audits as appropriate
- Being a Subject Matter Expert for processes, clients, systems and tools and demonstrate proficiency in processing and checking
- Monitor team activity and coordinating workload in line with SLAs by organizing, prioritizing and making effective workload allocation decisions
- Produce and analyse reports as required for internal and external clients and requirements.
- Identify issues with processes handled in teams and drive a process to find and implement solutions
- Implement changes to tools and documentation needed to support effective service delivery.
- Increase the level of processing knowledge and drive continuous improvement in all areas of processing
- Write and maintain knowledge documents, keeping documents up to date and incorporating changes to legislation
- Sharing best practice with colleagues through process and tool training
- Taking part in both internal and external audits.
- Being a role model in the team by giving constructive feedback to colleagues to improve performance and supporting the Manager
- Coordinate and participating in projects that will impact the work of teams and domains
- Building strong relationships with client teams, client representatives and third-party providers
- Maintaining required technical knowledge and behavioural standards and expertise, especially all regulatory and statutory requirements
- Responsibility for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company
Your knowledge and expertise:
- You will ideally have pensions accounting experience.
- You may be ACCA part qualified, an AAT studier or QBE.
- You will ideally demonstrate the ability to accurately process transactions and queries by following procedures correctly and meeting agreed deadlines.
- Applicants with third party pensions administration experience who are looking to move into a finance focused role will also be considered, however it will be expected that you have some accounting knowledge through relevant accounting studies/qualfications.
- Strong communication skills are essential as you will be required to build strong relationships with client teams, client representatives, Auditors, Investment Managers and other providers, maintaining required levels of technical knowledge and behavioural standards, especially all regulatory and statutory requirements.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare and additional holiday. We also offer tremendous potential with a growing worldwide organisation.
Our Colleague Experience
Every day, our colleagues make a difference, work with the best, own their potential, and value one another. Together, we share this one purpose: to empower economic and human possibility around the world. This unifying goal is at the heart of our identity, and it lives in everything we do. To learn more about our colleague experience, visit Aon Colleague Experience.
We’re happy to talk flexible working. If you need to flex your working pattern, Aon offers flexible and agile working policies and we’re happy to discuss options with you upon application