We want an Infrastructure Architect to exploit the capabilities of our new Benefits Payments tech stack and systems following a re-platform to Red Hat Linux and Oracle.
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
DWP is the UK's largest government department. We help people into work, make payments worth over £195bn, and deliver services to people who really need them.
We want to add an Infrastructure Architect to our expert community in DWP Digital as we deliver a generational transformation of government services.
The DWP products and services we maintain and modernise will be used by nearly every person in the UK, at key moments in their lives. Our purpose is unique, and the scale of what we do is extraordinary:
- 23 million unique users a year access our services
- Our services combine to generate one of the largest IT footprints in Europe
- We serve 173 million API requests per month
- We're secured and hardened against 24/7*/65 cyber threats, and we're able to detect and prevent £billions of attempted acts of fraud
- We're delivering new IT systems and transforming some systems built around 40 years ago - that means migrating millions of cases across more than 90 policy lines safely onto new and transformed digital services.
It's a huge and exciting architectural and infrastructural challenge.
Speaking of huge and exciting, let's talk about our pension offer. You'll be eligible for a Civil Service pension with employer contributions worth 27.9% a month. For a starting salary of £58,000, that would be over £16,000 in your pension pot each year.
Work/life balance is really important to us too. Flexible working hours, hybrid working (some time at home, some in the office) and family friendly policies mean you can work in a way that gets the best out of you.
Delivery. Work. Projects.
Our Benefits Payment Services team recently migrating the existing set of VME Mainframe based systems onto Red Hat Linux and Oracle platform.
This new platform and tech stack opportunities for exploiting new ways of working. That's where you come in.
We want an Infrastructure to exploit and simplify the capabilities of the new infrastructure platform to deliver services that are better, more reliable and more easily maintained.
Day to day, you will:
- Deliver and communicate the technical and infrastructure architecture design elements of BPS services.
- Work with engineering and technical services teams, and other Digital stakeholders, to create world class solution designs.
- Provide expert advice to Solution Architects to drive technology decisions.
- Ensure technical quality and adherence of BPS solution designs to the DWP Digital Blueprint, Enterprise Architecture and Product Roadmaps.
- Identify, capture, share, iterate, and implement architecture patterns.
- Support the development of the Architecture Practice within the department, by sharing best practice and reference architectures.
What skills, knowledge and experience will you need?
- Infrastructure Architecture design and modelling techniques, patterns, tools and standards.
- Technical authoring skills, particularly for the production of technical design and specification documents.
- UNIX, Linux operating system technologies and deployment design patterns, tools and best practice
Desirable experience (it's great if you have these - if you don't you can learn):
- Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud-based application deployment technologies, design patterns, tools and best practice
- Public cloud technologies, cloud hosting, container, and networking design patterns, tools and best practice (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform).
Details. Wages. Perks.
You'll join us in one of our brilliant digital hubs in Blackpool, Manchester or Newcastle whichever is most convenient for you.
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
In return for your skills, we offer a competitive pay of up to £61,000 a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth over 27%, and a generous leave package starting at 26 days.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working, flexi hours and up to 3 flexi days off a month
- Hybrid working: some time in a hub with the team, some time at home
- Family-friendly policies
- Time off volunteering and charitable giving
- Bring your authentic self to work with 'I Can Be Me in DWP'
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it's even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Working in an award-winning environment and culture
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application.