Lead Infrastructure Engineer
- GBP58000 - GBP69406 per annum
- Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 16 Nov 18
Lead Infrastructure Operations Engineer, DWP Digital: Salary: Up to £69,407, plus great pension, benefits and work life balance If you're creative and curious to learn, want to be empowered to make decisions and challenge the norm, and want to bring BIG ideas to a MASSIVE digital challenge then you'll love it here. And we'd love to hear from you.
Lead Infrastructure Operations Engineer, DWP Digital
Salary: Up to £69,407, plus great pension, benefits and work life balance
If you're creative and curious to learn, want to be empowered to make decisions and challenge the norm, and want to bring BIG ideas to a MASSIVE digital challenge then you'll love it here. And we'd love to hear from you.
We're looking for a talented Lead Infrastructure Operations Engineer to join our growing community of experts and become a key part of one of the biggest and highest-profile digital transformation programmes in the world.
Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies - and putting the user at the centre of everything we do - we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
You and your role
Support Services operate and maintain the DWP's hosting environments and services 24 x 7. We are fundamentally driving a cultural, skill based and technological change to transform our capability to operate as a world class provider in the digital age. The leaders of the Support Service functions need to lead their teams towards industry best practice delivering services to achieve a zero outage outcome.
As Lead Infrastructure Operations Engineer you will lead a number of functions delivering on-premises hosting services and transforming the team to provide Reliability Engineering services for our cloud based services.
Traditional services include building and managing servers, middleware, storage, back up & restore and networks. The move to cloud necessitates new ways of working and this role will shape and help deliver a new Reliability Engineering sub-function using industry leading automation technology. This is a critical time for this evolving sub-function requiring new and dynamic leadership.
What are we looking for?
- Demonstrable in depth experience of Service Management in complex, multi- supplier environment.
- Leading teams/departments in the design, implementation, administration and support of infrastructure solutions and services.
- Strategic supplier management, contract negotiation and performance management.
- Experienced with planning, estimating, staffing, organising, and managing multiple projects; has monitored and dealt with critical paths and risks areas utilising Agile project methodologies.
- Significant leadership and management experience with the ability to motivate individuals to deliver user excellence using highly developed interpersonal communication skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving, problem management and troubleshooting skills.
Where You'll Work
You'll join us in one of our easy-to-reach digital hubs in Manchester, Newcastle, or Blackpool.
Each of our hubs is a modern, vibrant workplace that was designed for and by members of our digital community. Our central hubs have the best of the city on the doorstep, and we have a range of facilities across the sites from cafes, coffee shops and restaurants, to ping pong, a swimming pool, gym facilities and loads more.
Here we provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multidisciplinary teams think big and try new things. You will work alongside people who care passionately about public service, making a difference and delivering for our customers.
We're the UK's biggest government department with over 80,000 diverse and brilliant people on our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications regardless of age, gender, race or sexuality.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £69,407, a brilliant civil service pension, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working
- Family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it's even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- And lots more
Building Our Future
We believe the work we do really matters, so we're serious about investing in your ability.
You'll have access to a huge suite of training and learning opportunities to complement the new skills and experience you'll acquire on the job. You'll share ideas with colleagues from across the tech community, and grow your skills via our coaching and mentoring programmes.