Android Software Development Engineer
DESCRIPTION Ring is looking for a passionate and talented Android Software Development Engineer, who has experience building world-class mobile apps. You will be responsible for working on mobile applications that interact seamlessly with our devices and delight our customers.
You will join the team that supports and develops the technology for our popular streaming features such as Live View, to connect customers to their Ring video doorbells and security cameras. Our goal is to ensure a fast and reliable streaming and playback experience, alongside building solutions and supporting new products that help Ring on its mission to make neighbourhoods safer.
A day in the life
This role provides a unique opportunity to be a key part in shaping the core of Ring's offerings to our customers.
You will work across teams to prototype ideas and solve complex problems, and raise the bar of our applications by advocating and driving software best practices, automating tasks and identifying pitfalls. As part of the team, you will continue to learn and become an expert in challenging fields.
You will have the opportunity to contribute your creative ideas and energy, working with world-class experts, distributed cloud systems and home security devices.
About the hiring group
Working on video technology and fully owning a production app, our team is always looking to learn and innovate. We frequently collaborate with cloud, firmware and other mobile teams to solve problems, come up with solutions and delight our customers. We are data driven, value and promote ownership, working backwards from our customers to bring them an innovative and seamless home security experience.
• Design, develop and maintain our Android mobile applications
• Work with team members to investigate design approaches, prototype technology and evaluate technical feasibility
• Lead architecture and design of features, from conception to launch
• Help to improve engineering processes and tools to increase team effectiveness
• Be part of an agile development process to deliver high-quality software
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
• Android mobile application development experience in Java and Kotlin
• Experience communicating technical problems to both technical and business audiences verbally and in writing
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
• Deep understanding of agile principles and exposure to various process implementations
• Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git
• Experience with Reactive programming frameworks
• Experience optimising apps for performance
• Experience writing testable code and automated tests
• Experience with deployments to the Play Store
• Experience with REST architecture for web services
• Knowledge of video streaming technologies (such as WebRTC/SDP/SIP/RTP)
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for full software development lifecycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
Since its founding in 2013, Ring has been on a mission to make neighbourhoods safer. From the video doorbell to the DIY Ring Alarm system, Ring's smart home security product line offers users affordable whole-home and neighbourhood security. At Ring, we are committed to making home and neighbourhood security accessible and effective for everyone - while working hard to bring communities together. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you're always home.