Senior Software Development Manager, Amazon S3 (Cambridge, UK)
DESCRIPTION The Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) is one of the largest storage systems on the planet. Gartner estimates that S3 stores 1.6 times more data than all the other cloud storage services combined. Customers use S3 for everything from backup storage to Intent content hosting to primary storage for exabyte-scale data lakes, and everything in between.
We are looking for a senior leader for S3's engineering team in Cambridge, England. In this role, you'll have complete ownership of several critical customer-facing services that expand S3's serverless computational capabilities. For these features, you'll drive the roadmap, architecture, software, systems, hardware, and operations. You'll grow a strong team of management and engineering talent. You'll define and drive new features and services that excite customers and stoke their imaginations about what's possible in the cloud. You'll own a vast fleet of servers, driving efficient and cost-effective management through automation. You'll be a leader in the business as well, owning the financial health of your services. You'll personally engage with C-suite customers to represent the Amazon S3 business.
Several key traits will lead to your success in this role. You're passionate about creating and running massively scaled distributed systems. You excel at building great teams, including hiring and developing leadership and engineering talent. You inspire your people to continue to transform how the industry thinks about storage, changing what can be done with real-time analytics, big data, machine learning, etc. You love to roll up your sleeves and get into the details of the technology and the business. You're a fountain of ideas, but you also bring clarity, simplicity, and a quality focus so that we get the right things done right and done rapidly. And, finally, you value diversity, inclusion, and belonging as a key tenant for your team.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or related discipline
• 10years+ of industry experience managing large software development teams
• Several years of experience managing managers or leaders within development teams
• Proven track record of high-scale hiring and talent management (not dotted line) on teams of multiple disciplines/job families (such as development, operations, testing, and/or product management)
• Proven ability to dive deep into software and systems architecture
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong understanding of/experience with big data technologies
• Systems engineering experience (e.g., virtualization, hardware design, operating system tuning)
• Experience building scalable infrastructure software or distributed systems
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Experience building software with dependencies on cloud services
• Many years of interacting regularly and directly with senior executives
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
• Strong systems operations skills
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals
• Ability to thrive in a startup-like environment
• Masters in Computer Science or related field
Amazon offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package Job Posted: Closing date: