Sr Software Dev Engineer, Test
The Development Center in Cambridge
In 2018 EC2 expanded its operations to Cambridge by introducing a new Kernel and Operating System (KaOS) team in this location, in addition to our offices in Dresden, Germany and Bucharest, Romania.
The KaOS team develops and maintains the hypervisors and Linux kernels present in all EC2 servers, as well as various other low-level components, with particular focus on security, availability and performance; with continued research investment in self-healing, live updates, scheduling, networking, block devices, and much, much more.
Some of our recent innovations include the Nitro Hypervisor, core of the Nitro System, and the Firecracker MicroVM. More information about the Nitro system is available at:
• AWS Nitro System blog post by James Hamilton: https://perspectives.mvdirona.com/2019/02/aws-nitro-system/
• AWS re:Invent 2018: Powering Next-Gen EC2 Instances: Deep Dive into the Nitro System (CMP303-R1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8DVmwj3OEs
More information about the Firecracker MicroVM:
• AWS Blog post by Jeff Barr: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/firecracker-lightweight-virtualization-for-serverless-computing/
• Firecracker GitHub landing page: https://firecracker-microvm.github.io/
The Cambridge KaOS/EC2 team has a wide charter, with focus on Hypervisor (Xen and KVM), and Linux Kernel (Networking, Block devices, IOMMU, scheduling, security, etc) development. While we are just starting, one thing is clear to us: our approach to software development is one of upstream first, Open Source first.
Amazon is looking for an experienced Sr. Software Development Engineer, Test, for a Kernel and Operating System team. As part of the team, you will be given the chance to have a significant impact on our systems, our business and most importantly our customers.
If you are passionate about Testing and Test Automation, have deep technical knowledge and want to build solutions to complex problems that directly affect millions of people: there may be no better place than Amazon for you to impact the world!
We at AWS value individual expression, respect different opinions, and work together to create a culture where each of us is able to contribute fully. Our unique backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our ability to achieve Amazon's mission of being Earth's most customer-centric company. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• BS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent work experience
• Several years of production experience working on the Linux Kernel
• Expertise in Python, Ruby, or similar programming language
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operation
• Hands on working experience with open source test framework stacks such as TestNG, PyTest, Maven, Artifactory/Nexus, Selenium, Cypress, Appium, XCUITest, Espresso
• Demonstrated experience with hiring and/or mentorship of junior engineers PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience with CI/CD pipelines
• Experience with building regression/integration tests for Linux Kernel, Xen, KVM, Qemu or similar Open Source projects
• Experienced in backend API testing automation in UNIX/Linux environment
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and successful background screening check. This will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a relevant criminal check.