Sr. Software Development Engineer
DESCRIPTION We are hiring Software Developers in Cambridge at all levels to expand Alexa Knowledge Federation - part of Alexa AI. When customers ask Alexa any question, anywhere in the world, our Knowledge Federation system links a broad range of techniques, each of which tries to determine the answer. Those techniques are diverse, including search-based approaches, machine reasoning over knowledge graphs, deep neural networks, and others. Our mission, in the Federation team, is to select the best available answer for every question, for that customer, at that time. That's a hard problem! To get there we need to solve complex engineering challenges to ensure Alexa answers every question in real time even at global scale, on tens of millions of devices. We also need to address fascinating data science and applied science challenges, modelling the difference between acceptable answers and great answers to our customers' questions.
We set out to build Alexa at Amazon because we believe that voice will fundamentally improve the way people will interact with technology, and we wanted to create a computer in the cloud that could be controlled entirely by your voice. In the Alexa Knowledge Federation team, we get to make Alexa smarter every day. It's a fun challenge, and an environment where we're always innovating as part of a cross-functional team.
As an Amazon Sr. Software Development Engineer, you will lead the team's technical charter, inventing, designing and building software in ambiguous and complex domains. You take ownership of team architecture, providing a system-wide view and design guidance, making things simpler and driving engineering best practices and will proactively and independently work to improve the consistency and integration across teams, with limited guidance, exploring re-use or extending existing solutions. You understand the business impact of your systems and show good judgment when making technical trade-offs between your team's short-term business or operational needs and long-term technology needs. You are a key influencer in team strategy, and you drive mindful discussions with customers and peers. You bring perspective and provide context for current technology choices and guide future technology choices. You work to resolve the root cause of endemic problems including areas where your team limits the innovation of other teams (bottlenecks). You will deliver solutions at scale, as you work with multiple functional teams from asset acquisition, product and design, and delivery teams. We have strong links with many teams within the Alexa organization who are all running fast to make Alexa better and you will keep us ahead of those dependencies. You will actively participate in the hiring and developing of others, providing technical assessments for engineering promotions and contributing to professional development of colleagues.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Delivering high quality code on time as part of a cross-functional team.
• Leading team discussions around system component design, improvement and integration.
• Designing and developing high performance, test-driven code.
• Working with and maintaining a large existing code base as well as new components; maintaining production code and contributing to deployment and QA processes.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
• Software engineering experience with advanced software engineering skills, including the ability to write expert-level, maintainable, and robust code in Java, Python, C++, C#, Scala or similar languages
• Experience with the full software development life cycle, including source control system, code reviews, build processes, testing, and operations; with a track record of delivering stable and scalable systems.
• Competency in a broad range of design approaches and architectures with the proper level of complexity.
• Excellence in technical communication both in writing and in person with technical and non-technical peers, as well as robust project planning/execution skills including estimating, scheduling, and executing on committed schedules across multiple teams.
• Experience with hiring and the mentorship of engineers
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Experience in building high-performance, highly-available, scalable distributed systems.
• Robust project design, planning and execution skills.
• Experience in effectively partnering with and delivering alongside research and applied scientists.
• Experience with delivering production AI systems
• Practical experience of Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies.
• Experience in Software Development in fields incl. Machine Learning, Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing, Semantic Web, or Applied Mathematics