DevOps Engineer, Global Technical Services, Global, Cardiff
Are you energized by helping organizations implement successful DevOps? Are you excited to help organizations develop cutting-edge software applications, such as big data analytics platform? Are you eager to work with the latest technologies, such as Kubernetes, Hadoop, and Azure? We are looking for an analytical and creative people who are passionate about DevOps to join our team.
The Audit & Assurance DevOps group is responsible for delivering DevOps services which accelerate the delivery of both revenue-generating and internal applications. We support business-lead software development while applying strategic and approved practices which streamline and fully automate the release management pipeline.
We are developing and supporting innovative solutions that leverage the latest technologies in open source and the cloud and are building a team of top-notch DevOps Engineers to create our next generation platforms.
You will be working within a portfolio of applications that utilize all levels of technology, from backend data and front-end technologies, delivered through cloud technologies such as Azure!
You will work in an environment that embraces DevOps philosophes to empower the implementation of tools and processes which enable the following: rapid development and deployment of software, continuous integration/delivery, automated quality checks, and operational metrics that can be consumed by development and product teams.
DevOps manages the application lifecycle management (ALM) tools that underpin all DevOps services and enable an efficient hybrid business/IT software delivery model. In your role as the Cloud DevOps Engineer you will be responsible for the selection and implementation of tools and processes which enable rapid development and deployment of software. Your mission is to embrace continuous integration/deployment in a delivery pipeline that will perform automated quality checks, deploy cloud infrastructure and applications quickly, and provide operational metrics that can be consumed by development teams. An ideal candidate for this role will have a blend of development and operational experience that provides them with a good understanding of the developers they are working with, while also balancing customer satisfaction and maintaining critical systems uptime.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us. Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application. Your role
Your work, your choice
- Follow the team's standards to create and manage an automated DevOps release management pipeline which delivers tooling for next generation application development efforts (the Dev) and on-going production operations (the Ops). Cultivate a Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery mind set.
- Collaborate with DevOps engineers and Cloud architect to support development teams with a full set of DevOps ALM tools by leading the establishment of the right tooling and processes that will result in a fully automated release management pipeline to include: the automated build process, environment setups, testing scripts, deployments, and production operational metrics/debugging information (to target developers).
- Partner with development and operations teams to facilitate practical automation solutions and custom modules. Troubleshoot automation issues and wen required engage the resources to find practical solutions that move projects forward in a timely manner.
- Be a trusted automation and tooling advisor for DevOps initiatives by providing objective, practical and relevant ideas, insights and advice.
- Deliver tasks based on project objectives; technically support projects through to completion. Ensure deliverables are completed within target timeframes and are consistently of high-quality, documented and support transition of operational activities
- Collect and format the data required for established KPIs to ensure performance is measured against expected business outcomes.
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
You will be based at our Cardiff office, with an option of working from home one day a week
This is a permanent contract opportunity. The role can be worked on a full-time basis. Our team members work a variety of agile working patterns. Tell us what arrangement works for you and we'll try to accommodate. Your professional experience
- BS in Computer Science/Engineering or related field (or equivalent of professional experience).
- Strong experience with Linux environment
- Strong experience with cloud environments, Azure preferred
- Strong experience with automation through scripting languages
- Strong experience with Git
- Strong experience with instrumentation, monitoring, alerting, and responding relative to performance and availability of applications
- Strong experience with software development lifecyle (SDLC)
- Strong understanding of the concepts and principles behind DevOps
- Strong experience with CI/CD/deployment process
- Experience with container and orchestration technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, etc
- Experience with MongoDB hosting, configuration and administration
- Experience troubleshooting complex issues ranging from system resources to application stack traces
- Experience problem solving issues on globally distributed systems and critical product service environments
- Experience operating and supporting mission-critical applications (e.g. incident and outage management)
- Working knowledge of network technologies such as TCP/IP, DNS, firewall, routing, etc
- Strong analytical and problem-solving
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership to get work done and make business happen
- Passionate for making things better and driving action with a sense of urgency
- Self-reliant, self-motivated with a "can do" attitude.
- Desire to grow and develop new skillsets, becoming involved with new technologies
- Desire to understand our businesses and users
- Creative and innovative, taking a thorough, design-driven approach
- Brings new thinking to challenge existing technology and processes
- Ability to work in an agile development team with emerging technologies and changing business needs.
- Ability to multitask and work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with rapid technology changes and complex customer requirements.
- Ability to build solid relationships with team members and co-workers
Your service line: Deloitte Global
- MS in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent
- Application development/coding background using C, C++, C#, or Java
- Strong experience with Kubernetes
- Strong experience with Helm
- Experience supporting the following datastores/databases: MS-SQL server, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Working knowledge and experience with Hadoop
- Strong experience with Azure/Azure certification
Across disciplines and across borders, Deloitte Global supports our network of member firms by developing and driving global strategy, programs, and platforms, and creating new solutions and transformational experiences. Deloitte Global professionals makes an impact that matters to the world of Deloitte. We share a passion for igniting change and a strong service orientation that shapes our organization and those it supports. Personal independence
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process. About Deloitte
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent. What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world. Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,500 partners and over 40,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people. What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It's how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work - and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we're looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Ref. RTWPROG WPFULL SLICSS BAITEC
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
© 2020 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 176542