Analyst, Traded Risk Stress Testing
- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Edinburgh Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- HSBC Bank plc
- 22 May 18 2018-05-22
We are currently seeking an ambitious individual to join our Global Risk team, working together with colleagues to define, manage and achieve divisional business targets.
The Wholesale Credit and Market Risk (WMR) department within HSBC Group Risk measures and monitors globally credit and market risks arising from lending and trading activities as well as credit approval for large corporate, financial institution and sovereign exposures.
The Stress Testing team within WMR ensures that stress testing is implemented across the group in line with best practice for the purpose of (i) risk management, (ii) compliance with the Basel II/III regulatory framework and (iii) meeting enterprise-wide stress testing needs. One of the primary objectives of this team is to ensure that stress testing is executed consistently across market risk and counterparty risk. Contribution to wholesale credit risk is also expected. The scope of the team is both the trading and the banking books.
In this role, you will:
- Lead regular market and economic analyses to ensure that our stress scenario library is suited for pro-active risk management. Lead the calibration of relevant stress scenarios ensuring consistency across all risk factors used both in market and credit risk
- Form a judgment on the appropriateness of exposure/positions vs. risk appetite using stress results computed by numerous teams across the Group. Help risk appetite definition Transform Senior Management strategy and questions into practical stress testing approach to improve risk-reward decisions. Take initiatives to develop innovative solutions
- Take responsibility for ensuring that stressed risk measures are in line with best practice and meet regulatory requirements. Guide the methodology team to develop robust tools and infrastructure
- Be part of the team that is the main point of contact in WMR for stress testing questions coming from local regions, other GMO teams and regulators. Drive the incentive and provide directions to the local sites so that (i) stress testing is used appropriately by risk managers for decision making, (ii) vulnerabilities in the traded portfolio are well understood by senior management
To be successful in the role, you should meet the following requirements:
- University degree and/or post graduate qualification with a relevant quantitative content
- Previous experience in risk management for market risk and/or traded credit risk
- Previous exposure to large projects involving technical IT considerations
- Thorough understanding of advanced risk management techniques across a diverse portfolio of assets
- Good understanding of financial products including derivatives, macro-economics, econometrics and financial markets
- Strong knowledge of financial markets and business principles
- Financial engineering skills and experience in building credit or market models
- Good communication skills (oral and written) are essential. Ability to articulate complex ideas in a clear manner
- Ability to make decisions quickly is a wide range of field: risk management, technical and governance related
- Self-starter, who can think proactively. Demonstrate the ability to learn abstract concepts and to operate effectively against uncertainty and on unfamiliar ground
- Must demonstrate the ability to communicate with a various range of stakeholders including technical and non-technical staff
- Able to interact effectively with senior management within Risk and the business
For further details and application information please visit our careers site, searching under reference number 0000AN5O
You'll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.