Associate Investment Analyst
- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Edinburgh Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Martin Currie Investment Management Ltd
- 04 Jun 18 2018-06-04
To provide information, research and recommendations that will positively inform portfolio manager decisions regarding investment opportunities for client portfolios. Primarily in relation to domestic companies in the People’s Republic of China (PRC), including but not exclusively to Chinese A, B and H-Share companies. In addition, supporting the Asian and other teams as required in servicing the needs of PRC based institutional prospects and clients.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES – Primarily in relation to the People’s Republic of China:
• Produce fundamental stock research on a specified universe of companies typically defined by business sector classification. This should include financial modelling and projections based on thorough examination of financial statements and sector data.
• Develop a high level understanding and interpretation of financial information such as financial statements, company accounts and sector data.
• Develop and maintain an understanding of the wider business environment such as relevant economic, political and regulatory information that may inform stock performance.
• Understand and assess Environmental, Social and Governance factors and their impact on financial modelling and investment recommendations.
• Meet and engage with the management teams of companies that are being researched delivering insightful questions and obtaining key relevant information to inform stock research.
• Present investment ideas to the relevant investment team and to the wider investment floor as necessary articulating clearly the investment thesis and opportunity and being open to challenge on the recommendation. Actively participate in such discussions on research from other members of the team.
• Generate a sufficient pace of new investment ideas to meet the needs of the relevant investment team products and maintain research on all existing ideas previously recommended and held in client portfolios.
• Record all activity in Martin Currie’s research portal including using the Martin Currie research template for stock research, recording company meetings and adding all other relevant information as necessary.
• Ensure that all stock research activity undertaken meets the minimum standards set by Martin Currie for both ESG and more general research elements.
• Attend training courses provided for professional development.
• Build and maintain strong working relationships with the broader investment teams ensuring best practice and knowledge is shared as appropriate. Participate in broader investment initiatives and forums focused on stock research as appropriate.
• Assist in the marketing and distribution effort as required including helping to develop marketing material, meeting clients and prospects and contributing to written commentary for clients and prospects. Particularly the case as it relates to institutional prospects and clients in the PRC.
• Ensure you are aware of, comply with and are an advocate and role model for all MC Legal, Regulatory, Governance, Risk and Compliance obligations including understanding your personal responsibilities, obligations, record keeping and behaviours all the time.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Holds a high quality undergraduate degree (mandatory)
• Is a full CFA Charterholder (mandatory)
• Is a Fluent English speaker (mandatory)
• This role deals primarily with counter-parties in the PRC and therefore Mandarin language skills are essential, with a minimum of working proficiency, although native/business fluent Mandarin is highly desirable
Technical skills and experience
• Worked for at least 5 years in an investment management firm with a focus on Chinese domestic company research and analysis. This is not exclusive to company knowledge but should include a strong appreciation for the influence that cultural and political factors can have in Chinese Capital Markets.
• Experience of servicing and interacting with PRC clients, having a strong institutional market knowledge.
• Chinese company research and analysis related financial modelling expertise.
• Competent in relevant technology such as Excel, Bloomberg or FACTSET.
• Strong adaptive communication and influencing skills.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES – LIVING OUR VALUES
Our Values, described in terms of behaviours, are key to highly effective performance within each of our jobs.
Integrity Being open and honest and having strong principles. This is a foundation of our business.
Ownership By this we mean accountability, responsibility and empowerment. It’s about taking responsibility for your job, being empowered to do all you can to do it well, learn and develop.
Ambition A desire to raise the bar, the need for courage, confidence, positivity and challenge. We must create a positive direction of travel for our business and think beyond the current environment.
Respect A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements. It reflects the requirement to show everyone personal respect and to respect the place of the individual in the team.
Closing Date: 2 July 2018