- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Edinburgh Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 17 Aug 18 2018-08-17
See job description for details
Join us in Edinburgh as a Data Engineer
- We're looking for data engineers to join our Data & Analytics function, and work on a series of innovative and transformative machine learning experiments
- You'll be developing cutting-edge innovative data products, and applying data science techniques for innovative solutions to improve our customer experience and value exchange
What you'll do
As a data engineer, you'll be supporting data scientists, and carrying out data sourcing, data wrangling and feature engineering tasks. You'll be pairing up with other analysts to deliver clean and consistent data pipelines for analytical teams using agile and extreme programming delivery methods.
You'll also be responsible for:
- The extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources
- Working with unstructured datasets and developing a scalable data architecture
- Designing and developing technical solutions, keeping the customer experience at the forefront of your actions
- Proactively driving our core data infrastructure, building ETL processes and undertaking automated code-quality assessment
- Bug fixing and performance analysis
- Managing stakeholder relationships
The skills you'll need
You'll have a successful history of manipulating, processing, joining and extracting value from large datasets sourced from disparate sources. You'll have a passion for technology, and strong people and communication skills.
You'll be able to draw on your ability to interact successfully across the business with key stakeholders, combining this with extensive knowledge of SQL, and practical knowledge of relational databases such as Teradata or SQL Server.
You'll also demonstrate:
- Familiarity with Hadoop and HiveQL.
- Expert programming and data engineering skills, qualified to BSc or equivalent in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Experience with data wrangling and feature engineering for machine learning applications
- Strong SQL skills and extensive knowledge of RDBMS technologies
- An understanding of relational database theory and data modelling
- An in-depth understanding of large scale data sets, including both structured and unstructured data
- Experience with Unix/Linux scripting
Ideally, we're also looking for knowledge of:
- Data hashing and obfuscation techniques
- Descriptive data analytics
- Data quality analysis and remediation
- Cloud technologies, especially MS Azure and AWS
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.