Global Accounting & Performance - Portfolio Accounting Vice President
- Competitive salary with excellent benefits
- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Edinburgh Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 18 Apr 18 2018-04-18
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2017, the firm managed approximately $6.288 trillion in assets on behalf of investors
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2017, the firm managed approximately $6.288 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
Business Unit Overview:
The Portfolio Accounting team is responsible for NAV calculation and Performance Measurement for a large number of institutional separate accounts and retail funds. This includes analysis/comparison with third parties such as custodian banks and accounting agents. Furthermore, the team works closely with Pricing, Cash and Asset Groups to ensure minimal risk in Portfolio Accounting calculations caused by NAV-impacting exceptions.
- Conduct calculation, validation and analysis of net asset value (NAV) and investment performance returns;
- Liaise with internal parties such as Portfolio Managers, Client Business, Operations and Technology;
- Assist in conducting and implementing procedures and controls to ensure GIPS, SOR and Internal Audit requirements;
- Active participation in departmental/group projects such as automation and process streamlining.
- Conduct portfolio valuations, performance calculation and analysis; calculation of NAV using appropriate accounting systems for institutional separate accounts;
- Analyze the portfolio performance and valuation for complex security types such as Equity, Fixed Income, Futures, Swaps, TIPS and bank loans.
- Serve as liaison between Investment Services Group (ISG) and other teams within Business Operations and Technology to ensure the accuracy of Portfolio Accounting calculations;
- Provide Institutional and Retail client business support in managing client relationships with respect to investment accounting and performance related issues;
- Prepare and provide extensive reconciliation to custodian banks and accounting agents to prevent and/or resolve NAV/performance discrepancies;
- Prepare, review and provide ad-hoc reports to clients or custodian/accounting agents as necessary;
- Assist in re-engineering BlackRock’s operating environment including developing specifications for enhancing and streamlining existing processes, and participating in various automation projects to improve scale and efficiency;
- Assist in creating and maintaining business review documents;
- Support RFP (Request for Proposal) meetings with new and existing clients detailing Portfolio Accounting processes and controls;
- Coordinate and conduct strategic projects aside from business-as-usual functions for the group when required;
- Provide ongoing support and technical expertise on various projects;
- Participate in the hiring and training process of new hires in the team.
- This role offers the candidate a view across the entire Aladdin trading platform, including interaction with the full range of Investment Operations teams.
- Top-down view of the firm and its process together with a bottom-up approach in terms of Accounting Operations calculation and theory.
- The Portfolio Accounting team works closely with internal key stakeholders where inputs to the process are reviewed pro-actively to ensure no impact to clients, providing additional quality controls and risk mitigation. The role naturally lends itself to wide exposure across a number of teams including Portfolio Managers, Client Relationship, Operations teams and external / 3rd party vendors.
- Operational Risk awareness, through exposure to risk assessment of new and existing control functions.
- The ideal candidate should possess at least five years’ experience in performance, fund accounting and/or operations;
- Knowledge or practical experience of Aladdin platform preferred but not mandatory;
- A strong working knowledge of Equity and Fixed Income securities and derivative products;
- People / process owner experience preferred;
- Evidence of process engineering experience;
- Strong project management and execution skills;
- Bachelor’s degree and/or relevant industry experience
- Experience of building and maintaining code (SQL or similar)
- An entrepreneurial spirit that is willing to take on additional responsibility quickly;
- Excellent analytical and communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate financial analysis and issues to internal stakeholders and clients
- Skilled in project planning and execution
- Strategic thinker and innovator
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.