Head of Finance
- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Crieff Hydro Hotel
- 20 Feb 18 2018-02-20
We’re a family of eight hotels bursting with their own unique character, spread over three iconic Scottish locations. From the heart of Perthshire to the Scottish Borders and right up to the Highlands, at our family-owned hotels you’ll always receive a warm welcome.
Our teams are filled with people who love their patch of Scotland, and you can always rely on us to point you in the direction of some favourite local spots. Whether the hotel is set in a historic location or the building bursting with its own history, you’ll find the surrounding scenery is just as memorable as what’s going on inside.
Background context and Job purpose
Our current Head of Finance is moving on after 4 years in post during which he has overseen considerable growth in the business taking a key role in making and integrating acquisitions with the core business. We are now looking to grow and maximise the returns from all parts of the business meaning this position will help us take things to the next level and for you to stretch your career as you carve out what we think is a unique and challenging role both in the specialism and in Scotland. It is a great opportunity for an industry-experienced, commercially-oriented individual who wishes to broaden their skills base in an ambitious, large but independent business.
Technically, you will be up to the job of adding real value to all aspects of our finance functions and responsibilities. Practically, whilst providing commercial support to the MD, you will be an integral member of the management team offering support and advice as a business partner to other areas of the business (People, Operations, Revenue & Commercial) to deliver the best possible experience for our customers and our team members alongside driving profit and maintaining compliance. This means you will be a role model leader who knows how to deliver not only in what you do but also by engaging and coaching others.
As the business continues to grow, a key focus will be maintaining a transparent and thorough understanding of the performance of different business units, control over cash flow and maintaining accurate long term budgets and forecasts. We will also expect you to lead on the short and long-term management of our CAPEX and as such we expect you to be familiar with developing industry-practice and experiences in hotel and self-catering investment and finance models.
In the day-to-day business you will work with your team in developing the appropriate disciplines and reporting and help them embed all aspects of financial control. For this you will need to be technology confident, and be versed in USALI and industry benchmarks as well as having awareness of best-practice in revenue capture and control, F&B and payroll control, and finance operations using PMS systems on a cluster basis. In addition there will be a range of commercial areas of direct responsibility including working closely with our procurement and IT functions alongside specific areas like Rates, Insurance and Pensions.
Key accountabilities for this role
As a key player in the Leadership team, develop and implement the strategy for an aspirational approach to financial management supporting rapid business growth plans including:
- Leading the development of the financial strategy and contribute to the development of the overall business strategy;
- Driving the alignment of governance, business strategy and financial performance.
Ensure that the finance function and the processes supporting it are fit for purpose and well managed:
- Leading the development and ongoing review of the ways of working within Finance, implementing leading edge technologies, processes and practices
- Delivering clear, accurate, appropriate and timely management information regarding business financial performance, for various stakeholder groups including the Board and the Leadership team
The person we are looking for….
- Someone with several years’ experience in a relevant hospitality industry role, some of which will have been in a leadership role. Whilst a professional qualification or part qualification is ideal, we will consider unqualified candidates.
- You will be used to working at pace in a dynamic and complex environment but have the insight and capability to make the changes required to optimise your function.
- You will have a strategic approach with the ability to keep the long term in mind as well as taking a "hands on" approach to the short term tasks and priorities.
- Situational leadership skills will be taken as read along with strong influencing skills and a coaching-led approach to working with your reports and peers.
- You will have gravitas and instant credibility with a diverse stakeholder group alongside some experience of change management.
- Whilst based in Crieff a willingness for frequent travel to our other clusters
What’s on offer
- Competitive salary in the region of £75K
- 10% bonus
- A superb benefits package including discounted use of the resort facilities, a share scheme, and generous medical and pension cover.
- The opportunity to work with one of Scotland’s most exciting and growing businesses