- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Edinburgh Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 22 May 18 2018-05-22
See job description for details
Join us as a Lead Engineer in Edinburgh
- Build your project expertise as you work with senior stakeholders to develop technical solutions which will play a key role in the future of our business and how we serve customers
- You'll be working on technology change to crucial systems and platforms that are used every day by our Personal banking colleagues and customers, covering branch banking, ATMs and the customer experience
- You'll be using your software engineering skills and engaging with the new methodologies to design, develop and maintain state of the art applications and solutions
- Work with the latest technologies in a collaborative, agile and forward thinking team environment
What you'll do
You'll become a subject matter expert on our Branch Platform (used in Personal & Business Banking) and enable change to the XP and Windows 10 platform. You'll also be supporting the strategic roadmap for new initiatives on the platform.
You'll be leading on solution design options and explaining the pros and cons to key stakeholders so the best decision can be reached. From initial planning to delivery, you'll be working closely with a wide range of business and technical stakeholders to ensure solutions are delivered that meet the needs of our customers and the business.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Designing and developing high-volume, high-performance, high-availability applications using proven frameworks and technologies
- Designing and developing reusable libraries and APIs for use across the bank
- Driving the reuse and sharing of platform components and technologies within our software engineering teams
- Driving the adoption of software engineering principles, processes and best practices and keeping up to date with the latest technologies
- Liaising with engineers, architects, business analysts and other key stakeholders to understand objectives, requirements and options
- Helping to define technical strategy and advising on product roadmaps and migration plans
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone with significant experience in software engineering and design and a good understanding of the bank's architectural direction and principles, or something comparable. Ideally you'll have good knowledge of Personal & Business Banking, and an understanding of C++ and/or C#. You'll also have excellent stakeholder management skills, and the ability to collaborate across teams and divisional boundaries.
We'll also look to you to demonstrate:
- Experience of using industry recognised frameworks and development tooling
- Experience implementing programming best practice - especially around scalability, availability and performance
- Experience of test-driven development alongside the use of automated test frameworks
- Thorough knowledge of the software delivery lifecycle, established software development methodologies and agile delivery methods
- An innovative mind-set and the problem solving skills to translate product and business requirements into workable solutions
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary between £38,368 - £47,960 plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.