Lead Engineer - Hadoop
- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Edinburgh Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 25 Sep 18 2018-09-25
See job description for details
We're looking for a Lead Engineer - Hadoop to join us in Edinburgh
- Join our Bigdata platform team within our broader Technology function
- You'll have the opportunity to select and define the technology we use, as you help us keep up to speed in an ever changing world of IT by improving our development, testing and deployment process
- It's a chance to apply both your development and creative skills to create unique solutions
What you'll do
Key to the success of the Hadoop/Cloudera technology across the bank, you'll work with a team of Enterprise Architects to define the place Hadoop technology will take within the technology landscape, and how it will interact with other products and technologies.
Your role will involve:
- Thinking outside the box and having an innovative approach when it comes to technology adoption and service improvement work
- Getting involved in a variety of projects where you'll have real scope to shape the project roadmap and influence the way products are selected and adopted within the bank
- Being recognised as a custodian for the Technology standards developed for the Hadoop technology
This vacancy opens for applications on Wednesday, 29th August, and closes on Wednesday, 26th September
The skills you'll need
Essentially you'll need an in-depth understanding of the Hadoop open software software eco-system, including HDFS, YARN, Spark, Kafka, Flume, Hive and MapReduce. This will be supported by your general and current knowledge of technology, particularly in relation to technology deployment in Financial Services, or other innovative technology users. Unix administration experience will be key, as well as knowledge of project management. You'll also have experience implementing large infrastructure environments, inclusing designing and building private and public Cloud based data platforms.
You'll have experience of managing vendor relationships in particular building, maintaining and leveraging technology products and services. You'll be able to influence and lead a team of high performing engineers, and work closely to achieve high quality solutions. You'll also have IT automation framework knowledge.
You'll need implementation and operational experience within the following areas:
- Shell and Python scripting
- Back up and Recovery practices
- Security best practice
- Monitoring and management practices
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you will also join our retirement savings plan. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
For more information on our benefits, please visit our website .
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles, find out more here .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.