Senior Software Engineer
Saturday 29 June 2019 Salary Range
£54,117 - £60,130 We support agile working - click here for more information on agile working options. Agile Working Options
Other Agile Working Arrangements / Open to Discussion Job Description Summary
Scottish Widows are embarking on a journey to create an excellent experience for our General Insurance and Protection customers through our newly initiated value streams.
Our aim is to create a forward-thinking engineering culture that will push boundaries to support the business in delivering high quality, efficient and impactful outcomes for customers across the Scottish Widows digital estate.
We are active partners in a number of accelerator communities including Startupbootcamp, Accenture Fintech Labs, Codebase and Fintech Scotland. These Innovation partnerships allow us to work collaboratively with start-ups on experiments across a range of disruptive technologies.
Recent use cases in 2018 include IoT smart home devices to support risk reduction, AI predictive Underwriting, on demand Insurance with dynamic pricing and Health and Wellbeing apps to drive customer engagement.
Your role as a Full Stack Engineer is important in the future of our product development. You'll be able to shape the way we design, build, test and deploy using cutting edge technology.
On a day to day basis, this will mean being part of an engineering team who will:
- Launch new financial products
- Launch new digital marketing initiatives - promotions
- Extend the functionality of our existing web and mobile applications to attract and retain customers
- Integrate 3rd party APIs to our products and services
- Secure, update and maintain multiple content repositories
- Build responsive web pages using frameworks/tools such as Bootstrap, Flow and React
As a Full Stack Engineer, your role will be part of a cross-disciplinary feature team in addition to being a highly experienced member of our wider Scottish Widows Engineering team. As part of these teams, you will be expected to demonstrate and apply exemplary software engineering practices and skills, whilst working in a collaborative and agile environment. What you'll do:
- Write modular, well tested front-end applications that remain easy to maintain as the codebase and business continues to scale
- Contribute to setting the strategic direction for how front-end applications are developed within the team
- Ensure software is built in a way that is consistent with the frameworks, patterns and practices that exist across the wider engineering community
- Understand and apply industry best practices, foster knowledge sharing to provide solutions for complex business problems where no precedent may exist, and ensure implementation of solutions where appropriate
- Mentor and develop junior front-end engineers, providing clear and constructive feedback, whilst creating opportunities for learning and growth
- Create focus on delivering business value through industry standard engineering methods and principles
- Ensure front-end applications are fast, secure and work across all manner of devices and viewports
- Understanding of the entire application stack, deep and broad knowledge, and significant exposure to modern web technologies, especially; Node.js, HTML5, CSS3 and REACT.js
- Have a strong understanding of source code repositories and change management tools (Git, JIRA)
- Previous experience in an enterprise environment with automated build/test/release processes, source code management (Git) and change-management (JIRA)
- Strong knowledge of the entire software development life-cycle from design, build to production
- Excellent team working and communication skills
- Experience in building high-performing and secure front-end code
- Previous experience with large-scale development projects
If this is you, we'd love to hear from you. Join us and be part of an inclusive, values-led culture focused on making a difference.
Whatever your aspiration, you can also expect excellent benefits (see below), personal development and a career that's enriching and full of opportunity. Benefits (in addition to base salary):
At Lloyds Banking Group, we're driven by a clear purpose; to help Britain prosper. Across the Group, our colleagues are focused on making a difference to customers, businesses and communities. With us you'll have a key role to play in shaping the financial services of the future, whilst the scale and reach of our Group means you'll have many opportunities to learn, grow and develop. We're focused on creating a values-led culture and are committed to building a workforce which reflects the diversity of the customers and communities we serve. Together we're building a truly inclusive workplace where all of our colleagues have the opportunity to make a real difference.
- Car or car allowance of up to £4,080 per year
- Discretionary bonus between 15-30% of base pay
- Cash sum of 4% which you can exchange for a variety of benefits or simply take the cash
- Private Medical Insurance
- Pension, where we will contribute up to a max of 13%
- Share plans
- 30 days holiday