Service Specialist - Hadoop
- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Edinburgh Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 25 Apr 18 2018-04-25
See job description for details
Join our Analytics Infrastructure team as a Service Specialist - Hadoop
- Become part of our wider Technology function to support a new Big Data platform
- Advance your skills and expertise in an ever changing world of IT by improving our development, testing and deployment process
What you'll do
You'll be joining a small team with a wealth of experience, supporting our Hadoop and SAS technologies, where you'll have the opportunity to learn, grow and share knowledge as you:
- Support a newly delivered Big Data platform - the first and biggest Cloudera/Hadoop implementation in the bank
- Become involved in all aspects of production support, including incident, recovery, problem and change management
- Help us to continuously improve our service, by using your ability to think outside the box, when approaching routine tasks and troubleshooting
The skills you'll need
You'll be able to draw on your in-depth understanding of the Hadoop platform, including HDFS, YARN, Hive and MapReduce, and pair this with your current knowledge of technology, particularly in relation to technology deployment in the Financial Services or other innovative technology users.
You'll bring experience in monitoring and tuning Hadoop environments to provide a high availability service, alongside:
- Unix administration experience, as well as knowledge of the installation, configuration and support of CDH5.x
- A detailed understanding of security models and auditing policies, and a working knowledge of Cloudera proprietary tools
- Experience of implementing large infrastructure environments
You'll also need implementation and operational experience within the following areas:
- Shell and Python scripting
- Back up and Recovery practices
- Security best practice
- Monitoring and management practices
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
For more information on our benefits, please visit our website .
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles, find out more here .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.