- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 21 Jan 18 2018-01-21
See job description for details
We're looking for a Tax Manager to join us in London or Edinburgh
- Join our Front Office Support, Projects and Advisory (FOSPA) team
- Provide tax support and advice on corporation tax
- This role is ideally suited for a qualified lawyer or accountant who specialises in tax
What you'll do
As part of the FOSPA team, you'll be responsible for providing tax support and advice on corporation tax, withholding tax and transfer taxes primarily to NatWest Markets (NWM), Commercial & Private Banking (CPB) and Restructuring with a particular focus on complex transactions, disposals, securitisations, leasing and simplification. The FOSPA team also considers tax reputational risk issues, provides technical support to the business, Services and Risk functions as required and manages compliance with RBS's Tax Principals Policy.
The role sits within the first line of RBS's three lines of defence framework, you'll be complying with relevant RBS policies, considering and escalating the adequacy and effectiveness of their controls on a regular basis, as well as following operating procedures which include relevant controls to meet RBS and local policy requirements.
- Managing tax relationships with business franchises
- Preparing and reviewing sign offs covering transactions, including lending, warehousing, repos and stock lending transactions
- Reviewing new products
- Advising on queries relating to market standard legal agreements, lending agreements, derivative agreements and financing agreements
- Attending industry tax forums which discuss emerging technical issues and sharing feedback with the team
- Liaising with Finance, Service and Risk contacts and providing specialist advice
- Working with Senior Managers in assessing the tax risk, including reputational risk, arising from a range of products and business areas
- Assisting with RBS Projects as required such as Structural Reform/ICB and Brexit restructuring
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone with an ACA/CTA/Legal or equivalent qualification, or someone with significant related experience, who has a strong track record of providing tax advisory support, ideally within a financial context. Along with a strong record of application within a business environment, you'll be an assured and flexible communicator, able to build effective relationships with a wide range of colleagues at all levels.
We'll also look to you to demonstrate:
- Significant experience in advising on UK tax matters
- Proactivity, including the ability to deliver a high level of service excellence in a rapidly changing, fast paced environment
- Excellent managerial, communication and interpersonal skills
- Commercial and business insight
- The ability to act creatively and practically to drive business improvements
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.