EU Foreign Exchange Cash Settlements Associate
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom Glasgow Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 20 Mar 18 2018-03-20
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant
Shared Service and Banking Operations provide utility processing services to Global Operations. By functionalizing processes across segments, SSBO realizes efficiencies through scale, location strategy and adoption of best practices. SSBO provides quality operational core processes at an optimal price point, with maximum benefit to MS business lines. Services currently provided by SSBO include Cash Management, OTC Derivative and Security Settlements, Position Services, Reconciliations, Tax, Client Reference Data, and Network Management.
The Cash Settlements Team is responsible for all aspects of settlement for Foreign Exchange, Commodities, Credit, Interest Rate, and Equity OTC derivatives trades post-booking. The position requires daily interaction with various broker clients globally as well as internal sales and trading desks, other Operations groups, and technology teams. Our mission is to provide business units with cost effective, highly efficient and product agnostic full settlements services, enriching our clients experience and strengthening client relationships.
Background on the Team
Cash Settlements is divided into several teams by product and function, offering the fantastic opportunity to learn a variety of different derivatives products and functions within the larger Cash Settlements team. Each team is responsible for controlling risk by managing relationships with counterparties to ensure that high risk settlements are settled on value date, and where there are any post-settlement issues or discrepancies, the team investigates and resolves in a timely way.
Fixed Income and Equity OTC Derivatives products, Foreign Exchange, and Commodities
- Daily communication with clients to agree upcoming cash flows
- Investigation and resolution of client fails through various means, including daily interaction with trading desks, sales desks and middle office groups to ensure prompt resolution
- Reconciliation and analysis of aged breaks
- Client and Business Unit relationship management
- Responding to client queries relating to position breaks, corporate action bookings and reporting
- Collaborating with Operational management, sales, and trading desks to diminish risk through escalation and strong communication
- Acting as a process owner and being accountable for all outstanding items
- Developing and improving existing processes and reporting
- Working as part of the global settlements team to assist with development, testing & implementation of internal system changes
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
- Strong analytical, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work efficiently and accurately under pressure in a fast paced multi-tasking environment
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Strong Microsoft Excel and Word skills
Due to the nature of the products traded, the job requires the ability to identify problems as they arise and understand when these need to be escalated. Strong problem solving skills and continued follow up are a necessity. The candidate should possess a good appreciation of risk - both operationally and franchise. In addition, the role requires extensive client interaction both internally and externally so the ability to maintain and build excellent client relationships is a priority.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-AM1