Finance Risk Reporting Manager
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom Glasgow Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 19 Apr 18 2018-04-19
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
The Financial Control Group (FCG) is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial and regulatory reporting for the Firm. FCG prepares external financial reports for public filings and regulators. For internal reporting FCG, along with Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA), summarizes, plans and forecasts the organization’s financial position, including income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of future revenues, expenses and earnings. FCG is comprised of Business Unit Controllers, Infrastructure Controllers, Accounting, Regulatory and Reporting groups, and Valuation Review.
Global Corporate Controllers and Planning (GCCP) is the global center of expertise and leadership for accounting, compensation, policy, reporting, financial risk and control. The Finance Division’s Risk and Information Security and Control team (FinRISC) within GCCP is represented in our Glasgow, London, New York, Mumbai, Tokyo and Hong Kong offices performing an oversight, governance and execution role in relation to the Finance division in support of the Firm’s operational risk programs and objectives. The group interacts across all areas of Finance, Firm Operational Risk Department, the Front Office, Internal Audit as well as Operations, providing accurate risk reporting across Finance whilst furthering the risk management culture and infrastructure.
- Supporting senior management in terms of roll out of Firm mandated Risk programs and in establishment of appropriate governance framework
- Perform and review Finance operational risk reporting
- Perform monitoring and quality assurance activities over operational risk incidents, issues and action plans logged in Firm risk tools
- Perform data analysis for identification of thematic risk issues and escalate, suggest remediation as appropriate
- Partner with colleagues and internal clients on various projects, for example improve the collection, monitoring and reporting of risks and key risk indicators
- Participate in efforts for process standardization, short-term tactical improvements and longer term strategic initiatives including automation of reporting processes
- Assist global colleagues in execution of various streams of operational risk related work (e.g. Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA), Sarbanes-Oxley , Information Security , Business Continuity Planning)
The successful candidate’s key deliverables will include:-
- Member of the Global FinRISC team, contributing to the development, design and direction setting of the function and its work streams
- Managing the production of Finance operational risk reports and analysis of risk information and metrics including creation of production efficiencies through rationalisation and automation
- Performing value-add thematic analysis and quality assurance over operational risk data reported by Finance globally
- Assisting and supporting team members and global colleagues in development and automation where applicable of enhanced reporting and improved risk mitigation initiatives including key risk indicators
- Partnering with colleagues and internal clients on various risk related initiatives
- Ad hoc duties as required
- Strong appreciation of operational risk concepts,
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to work to and manage a team to deadlines,
- Committed and self-motivated individual who can demonstrate initiative & problem solving abilities
- Strong client and partner relationship abilities
- Analytical skills with a control focus and high regard for attention to detail
- Critical thinking in order to challenge processes, solve for ad hoc queries and creativity to suggest alternative approaches
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to deal with colleagues/clients of all levels
- Strong MS office skills
- Previous Financial Services Finance experience or Accounting qualification (ACCA, ICAS, ICAEW, CIMA)
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-EM3