Liquidity Funding Controller Senior Manager
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 17 Dec 17 2017-12-17
See job description for details
If you’re looking for a firm that can provide you with a challenging role and long term career development opportunities then read on. We have built a world class reputation for quality and service and the talent and passion of our people has been critical to our success. We provide a strong foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and to grow. Together we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and a strong team ethic.
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
The Global Funding Control (GFC) group employs >60 finance professionals in Glasgow, as part of a Global team of >150 (across New York, London, Mumbai, Tokyo & Hong Kong). The collective team are responsible for controlling and providing business support for the funding arms of the Firm and is part of the ISG Finance organization.
Pre 2008 crisis, funding was easy to obtain and not priced into trades due to ample liquidity in the markets. Post 2008, the landscape looks dramatically different where the economy and regulators have put a spotlight onto Funding and Liquidity making GFC both a high focus and growth area.
The Glasgow GFC team comprises of the following sub-group & the role creates the opportunity for significant exposure across the function.
- Bank Resource Management (BRM) control Secured Funding
- Treasury Capital Markets (TCM) control Unsecured Funding
- Liquidity & Funding Controllers (LFC) Regulatory & Management Liquidity reporting & control
Liquidity and Funding Controllers are responsible for preparing, calculating, reviewing and filing the liquidity reporting returns required by the Federal Reserve and Prudential Regulation Authority. The group is also responsible for supporting and developing the processes and systems to enable the firm to meet regulators requirements and support the Firm’s strategic initiatives.
A Senior Manager level opportunity has arisen within the LFC Regulatory Reporting team. The Regulatory Reporting team provide analytical review and control over the firm’s regulatory liquidity reports.
Primary clients are Corporate Treasury & Bank Resource Management who jointly manage the Liquidity & Funding needs of the business. In this role you will also interact closely with Legal Entity Controllers (LEC), Management Reporting team, Global Product Controllers (GPC) and IT.
JOB DESCRIPTION, SKILLS REQUIRED AND SKILLS DESIRED
We have an opportunity within our regulatory liquidity reporting team for an enthusiastic individual to join the team reviewing detailed liquidity reporting required daily by the Bank's regulators. This is a significant opportunity to add real value to the team as we embed daily submissions of this high-profile reporting suite to our key global regulators.
- Oversight and final review of the daily/weekly regulatory liquidity metrics monitored by Corporate Treasury e.g. Net Stable Funding Ratio and Contingent Funding Plan
- Oversight and signoff of the Liquidity disclosures included in the firm?s quarterly and annual filings
- Develop a strong understanding of business strategy driving liquidity movements, ensure supporting commentary is in line with expectations
- Point of escalation for issues arising with the reporting
- Ensure a robust control environment is in place to minimise errors in the external and management liquidity reporting
- Work closely with Corporate Treasury to interpret and implement changes to the regulatory reporting rules
- Partner with Treasury Technology to prioritize and implement enhancements to the reporting e.g. improving data quality, adjustment reduction and regulatory changes
Team Management and Leadership
- Line management and career development of ~ 8 qualified and part-qualified accountants
- Ownership of team resource planning and hiring decisions
- Managing stakeholder relationships and communicating or escalating appropriately to senior management
- Lead automation and improvement initiatives with IT
- Point person for Audit
- Involvement in department level initiatives
This is not an exhaustive list of tasks, and responsibilities may change in line with the team and business needs.
The successful candidate will display the following attributes:
- Candidates for the role should be a qualified accountant (CA, ACCA, CIMA) or have relevant degree or equivalent experience.
- The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate a rounded commercial approach to reporting and controllership, with proven skills in chasing issues through many layers to discover root causes.
- As a Manager, you will be responsible for demonstrating an ability to review the work of others whilst balancing multiple issues and priorities appropriately.
- Candidates should possess excellent Microsoft Excel skills and be proficient at summarising and presenting themes and results in a meaningful format.
- Able to build good relationships with stakeholders across a variety of business and finance areas.
- Candidates should be highly numerate with a close attention to detail.
- Have the flexibility required to work in a dynamic, challenging environment under tight deadlines.
- Relevant work experience in the financial services industry (Financial and Product Control, Treasury or Funding) is desired.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-EM3