Team Supervisor, Line (Operations)
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 17 Oct 18
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Operations division is both the first line of defense for protecting Morgan Stanley's financial and reputational well-being, and an essential partner contributing to the firm's growth. Facing off to all Morgan Stanley businesses and interacting with all other parts of the Firm, the Operations division supports a complex, multi-faceted portfolio of businesses in full compliance with regulatory guidelines and the directives of the Operating Committee and Board of Directors. Members of the Operations team have a unique vantage point as the division touches all parts of the business, front to back. One of the largest divisions in the firm, Operations has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, we continually strive to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
SSBO provides utility processing services to Global Operations. By functionalizing processes across segments, SSBO realizes efficiencies through scale, location strategy and adoption of best practices. SSBO provides quality operational core processes at an optimal price point, with maximum benefit to MS business lines. Services currently provided by SSBO include Cash Management, OTC Derivative and Security Settlements, Position Services, Reconciliations, Tax, Client Reference Data, Network Management and Vendor Management.
The Security Settlements Group is responsible for effectively managing positions, trading activity and funding across all European, Middle Eastern, and African markets.
The team consists of 24 people in Control Roles in Glasgow, supported by approximately 64 team members at an offshore Vendor.
The department has been established in Glasgow for several years and has developed itself into a highly efficient and successful operation, providing first class service to our clients. This has been achieved through strong focus on control, commerciality and people. We are looking for dynamic and hard-working candidates to continue the positive progression of the department.
The group interacts with a number of other departments across the firm on a daily basis such as Bank Resource Management, Prime Brokerage, Private Wealth, TSG, Corporate Actions and Financial Controllers. We also interact daily with a number of external agents based in countries across the regions that we support.
As well as ensuring the accurate settlement of Fixed Income and Equity trading, the successful candidate will also be involved in Market-Wide Initiatives, New Product Approvals, Regulatory Reporting, and a variety of other Key Management Metric Reporting.
This role is to lead the Vendor Management stream within the EMEA Equity Security Settlements team. Working closely with the control team in Glasgow you will primarily be responsible for managing and monitoring the performance of a third party vendor located in Chennai and Nagpur. The teams are primarily responsible for ensuring the timely settlement of trades executed by MS trading desks and clients as well as facilitating client asset transfers and conversion requests.
- Help to shape and execute the Control, Commercial and People agenda for Security Settlements in EMEA
- Manage the performance and relationship with the 3rd Party vendor in India
- Partner closely with Business Units to enhance client service levels and support business growth
- Work in partnership with internal infrastructure teams including Legal and Compliance, Technology, Operations Risk and Control teams, as well as external regulators and exchanges
- Drive the review of the controls and processes in order to reduce operational and client risk
- Identify opportunities to improve operational efficiency and strive for the delivery of commercial initiatives
- Ensure compliance with all applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures
This is not exhaustive and tasks and responsibilities may change to maintain our high levels of service
- Experience in financial industry in Security Settlements or related operations roles
- Technical understanding of transaction lifecycle in Cash Equities & FID and knowledge of regulatory policies & regulations
- Vendor management experience
- Proven interpersonal skills and abilities to work extensively across global departments to build and maintain credibility and strong relationships with peers, management, and stakeholders
- Effective team player who brings teams together and leads discussions in order to solve problems and meet business needs
- Demonstrated leader with proven skills in strategic planning who is able to guide, motivate, and hold individuals accountable for results
- Deadline oriented and able to thrive in high stress environment
- Strong communication skills, able interact and communicate effectively across cultural and hierarchical lines within the Firm
- Experience in change management and process improvement methodologies
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-AM1