DWP is hiring a Deputy Director of Engineering. You'll have end-to-end engineering accountability throughout Health and Disability. £71,000 - £117,800 + Civil Service Pension
DWP is implementing the biggest changes to the welfare system in a generation whilst continuing to drive up service and drive down costs, meeting targets to be the best and most efficient delivery function in the public sector by delivering a seamless service to our customers.
In Health and Disability we're looking to hire an Engineering Lead to play a key leadership role in achieving this.
A member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Engineering Lead will have end-to-end engineering accountability throughout Health and Disability
* A key member the Health and Disability Senior Leadership Team working with Product and Delivery Leads, the role holder will lead the engineering and architectural communities in Health & Disability, build and execute the engineering strategy to facilitate the delivery of the vision of the team;
* End to end engineering accountability through design, build and live service;
* Work across the organisation to ensure alignment with wider strategic priorities including data, security and architectural plans;
* Guiding a team of technology professionals to create and maintain services, targeting zero production hours lost whilst continuing to deliver new functionality into the Health and Disability services;
* Drive a comprehensive and cohesive engineering strategy across a large-scale agile delivery programme, including standards on accessibility, engineering, architecture, testing and deployment; building a DevOps culture across all teams;
* Working with development teams to proactively build monitoring and measurement metrics into the Health and Disability services to track end user experience and help achieve zero production outages;
* Working closely with production operations, security and enterprise infrastructure teams to ensure highly resilient, secure and available systems, targeting zero production hours lost;
The successful candidate will be passionate about technology and its delivery in building a user-centric service whilst having the ability to collaborate and problem solve in a fast moving environment.
They will have the ability and confidence to build relationships with senior stakeholders, both within government and beyond.
Experience Required: Credibility in the technology arena with extensive experience of:
- A highly visible technology leader with the ability to build high performing teams through developing capability, creating an inclusive culture and supporting others to deliver in a fast paced and demanding environment
- The ability to communicate effectively and build strong credible relationships at all levels with varying stakeholders in a complex transactional organisation, including understanding developers and architects, in order to engage and instigate change
- High levels of personal resilience, remaining calm under pressure with the ability to think and act strategically, developing practical, creative and innovative solutions, business models and approaches, and driving these forward
- The ability to influence, manage and challenge complex senior stakeholder relationships and deal with public and political scrutiny
- Exceptional business acumen, commercial focus and communication skills with the ability to make commercial decisions in line with business needs and manage differing priorities effectively
- Able to lead delivery in a matrixed environment and with distributed teams
- Software & Infrastructure Engineering, associated technologies and delivery methodologies
- Operational live service experience across large and complex systems across multiple-suppliers
- A wide range of software and infrastructure design, development and delivery of business critical, online, user-centric services and applications, using associated technologies and delivery methodologies
- Architecture & Solutions Design
- Product Support and Service Management structures
- Multiple location, team management in excess of 100 resources in both direct and matrix models
- Budget management