Responsible for production of the Annual Report & Accounts and oversight of USSIM and USSL statutory accounts and SPV statutory accounts. Responsible for co-ordinating the external audit on an annual basis. Manage the delivery of USSIM/USSL financial accounting and prepare quarterly scheme accounts including narrative and supporting analysis. Responsible for maintaining an appropriate financial control environment including co-ordinating sign off on key controls and review of balance sheet reconciliations. Delivery of continuous improvement to all the core processes and outputs of the activities above.
Annual Report & Accounts :
- Lead project management of delivery of ARA including plan definition and management of stakeholders including collation of commentary from content owners, where required supported by dedicated project management resource.
- Lead supplier management for ARA as first point of contact, tracking budgets and monitoring delivery
- Quality review of financial statements and provision of narrative and analytical review including commentary
- Review of data verification file to ensure accuracy and completeness of verification information
USSIM and USSL statutory accounts:
- Lead project management of delivery of USSIM / USSL accounts
- Quality review of financial statements e.g analytical review, commentary including review of accuracy and completeness of data verification files.
- Provision of commentary to demonstrate understanding of key movements and balances
SPV statutory accounts:
- Lead the production of SPV accounts including the preparation of more complex sets of accounts and the review of low risk statutory accounts
- Review of management accounts prior to submission to SPV Boards
- Lead review and continuous improvement activities around controls, policies and procedures for SPVs
USSIM/USSL financial accounting
- Analytical review of bonus forecast and accruals process including reporting and explanation of actuals against forecast and budget
- Delivery of balance sheet reconciliations for USS accounts managed by Group Reporting
- Review dilapidations accrual, deficit recovery provision and holiday accrual.
- Prepare LTIP provision calculation and supporting analysis.
Scheme financial accounting
- Collation of information to enable preparation of quarterly scheme accounts reporting pack including narrative and supporting analysis of variances
- Review contribution journals and co-ordinate improvement of contribution accounting
- Collation of information to enable preparation of monthly scheme accounts reporting pack including narrative and supporting analysis of variances
- Provide detailed plan for external audit for USS, USSL / USSIM and review and oversee plan for SPVs
- Key point of contact for execution of the audit
- Key point of contact for general audit queries and information requests
- Supporting Investment controller in providing upfront accounting and financial reporting input into any proposed investments which could result in the formation of new SPVs
- Prepare assigned cover papers and supporting documents for presentation at Audit Committee
Financial control framework
- Sign-off of assigned key controls related to Financial Reporting
- Deliver maintained financial control library including annual review with key control owners
- Review and reporting of effectiveness of key controls as part of the integrated controls report
Accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure accounting policies and procedures are kept up to date, communicated and appropriate controls in place to deliver compliance
Driving delivery from others
- Drive delivery from others in different finance / business teams where required for change initiatives led by AFC.
Technical Competencies, Skills and Experience
- Hold a professional accounting qualification such as ACA or ACCA.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Experience of preparing, reviewing and submitting statutory accounts
- Knowledge and experience of financial systems, accounting processes and controls
- Experience of audit and co-ordinating external audits
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisations ethos and values