Accountant - Budget Reporting and Analysis
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 25 Sep 18 2018-09-25
The Principal, Budget Reporting and Analysis leads the reporting and analysis of all aspects of resource management across the Bank: overall expenditure and staffing, procurement/ contracting issues and major expenditure costs that affect departments across the Bank. The purpose of the role is to maintain data, processes and reporting structures and additionally to leverage of this work to lead reporting and to also make more in depth analysis of budget issues, away from ‘day-to-day’ budget issues.
The individual reports to the Director, Financial Strategy and Budget and is also expected to work closely with the Associate Director and Principal working on Budget Client Management issues (who take the lead in dealing with departmental budget holders and development of the budget proposals).
The Principal, Budget Reporting and Analysis contributes to the preparation of specific sections of documents issued to senior management and to the Board such as the three year Strategy Implementation Plan incorporating the annual Budget, monthly management reports and quarterly performance reports to the Board.
The Budget team, as part of Financial Strategy and Business Planning (FSBP), is responsible for establishing the Bank’s administrative expenditure budget and monitoring its execution. This includes assessment of the medium term resource framework and preparation of the budget framework, for discussion with senior management. The key document co-ordinated by the team is the Bank’s three year Strategy Implementation Plan incorporating the annual Budget that is approved by the Board of Directors normally in December each year.
This role will interact with senior management on key expenditure issues such as staff costs, information costs and travel expenditure.
Facts / Scale
- Responsibility for resource reporting in Monthly Management Reports for the Senior Management and Quarterly Performance Reports for the Board of Directors
- Responsibility for all aspects of data, processes and reporting for the Bank’s resources: annual budget of approx. £360 million
- Main working relationships with other Departments at intermediate or senior level – Human Resources, Controllers, Administrative Services and IT
- Management of a direct report at Associate level
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
Accountabilities and responsibilities for this role are to be carried out with a strong degree of independence with limited supervision of the Director, Budget
- Lead in depth analysis of specific resource issues, such as productivity analysis and cost structure trends, and the development of proposals to senior management on the basis of the analysis
- Design and maintenance of staff reporting to support budget holders and client management work in the Budget team. Leading the interaction with HR and IT to ensure common reporting to management
- Analysis of staff costs and numbers to identify ongoing trends and issues to support the Director, Budget and in close liaison the Budget client management team
- Lead the analysis of key costs that cross-cut departments (centrally managed expenditure) including IT, information costs, and the staff benefits budget
- Lead the relationship with the Procurement & Operations Delivery Department to track key contracting issues, identify potential approaches to reduce the Bank’s costs and/ or increase efficiency, and to assess the budget implications of procurement savings.
- Lead the design and content of budget reporting including to senior management in monthly management reports and to the Board in quarterly performance reports
- Lead the design of accounting and other procedures and processes to support resource management, as well as the design of cost centre, account and project structures in the Bank’s systems
- Ensuring consistency across regular reporting on staffing and expenses
- Design and deliver training for Budget Officers and Heads of Resident Offices for Banking Department
- Recruiting, training and managing staff member to effectively meet objectives
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Extensive practical experience in budget management issues
- Qualified accountant/ CFA qualified/ relevant Masters and/ or strong practical experience in Finance
- Strong accounting knowledge and financial background
- Strong systems and process knowledge and ability to apply in practice. Practical knowledge of SAP and SAP Business Planning and Consolidation (BPC). Knowledge of data warehouse environments and tools such as Tableau preferable
- Excellent numeric and analytical skills
- Ability to work under high degree of independence, whilst ensuring appropriate checkpoints are in place
- Team management experience, in addition to coaching and mentoring skillsRelationship management and strong influencing skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and under time pressure
- Strong drafting and presentation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English