We are actively recruiting for several Actuary positions, both permanent and fixed term contract opportunities. These positions can be based in Edinburgh/Stirling/London. We are fully equipped to recruit and onboard new hires remotely with a view to a flexible working pattern between the office and home in future. Actuary/Actuarial Specialist – Pillar 3 and Solvency Monitoring
This role sits within the Financial Reporting team. The role holder will be expected to contribute to supporting the financial strength of the business by successfully balancing the competing demands of commerciality and prudence in a well governed and controlled environment. In addition the role holder will be expected to contribute to the creation of an agile team which is responsive to changing market conditions and customer requirements and the delivery of efficient and optimised processes.
This role requires a qualified or part-qualified actuary who has practical experience of Solvency II and IFRS financial reporting. The focus of the role is that of a technical specialist at this level that will either be taking accountability for components of a complex process or designing and developing new or improved solutions to meet business objectives.
The role will include the opportunity to:
- Develop an understanding of the management of the balance sheet
- Develop a deep knowledge of the business through the financial reporting and ongoing solvency monitoring
- Develop an understanding of how the commercial and regulatory environment impacts the company’s solvency position
- Work with colleagues across with other areas within Finance and Risk to support delivery of financial reporting in line with regulatory deadlines especially Pillar 3 QRTs
- Deliver and develop the analysis and reporting of valuation results ensuring results are well-explained and accurately communicated to senior stakeholders
- Support projects, for example helping to deliver the reporting solution for IFRS17
- Develop solutions to improve the efficiency of processes and the quality of outputs
Key Responsibilities for this role:
- Produce and be accountable for the technical accuracy of financial information to support the production of actuarial analysis and reports
- Provide specialist technical advice and guidance on the application of actuarial principles and tools to support business objectives, coaching and guiding less experienced members of the team
- Provide technical expertise to design technical solutions as part of change projects within Finance Reporting where required
Key Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Good technical actuarial knowledge, with attention to detail
- Coding and automation skills and experience of improving processes built in Microsoft Excel desirable
- Experience of analytics and production of results in tools such as PowerBI.
- Motivated and willing to take responsibility and ownership of the work assigned
- Demonstrable experience of problem solving and providing practical solutions to complex problems
- Commercial aptitude and the ability to consider the impact of decisions • Strong commercial and collaboration skills
- Ability to express own viewpoint and to communicate clearly on complex actuarial issue
- Knowledge of the business and/ or Solvency II and/ or IFRS financial reporting experience would be an advantage, however on-the-job training will be provided to successful candidate.
Work Level: Experienced Colleague
Recruiter Name: Emma Pryde
Closing Date: 26th January 2021