Actuarial & Risk Manager - Life
Job Description Summary:
To take ownership of allocated assignments in a way that meets and exceeds the clients expectations while taking responsibility for managing and developing staff and getting involved in business development. Job Description: Join us and you'll shape more than just your career. We believe we're best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insight empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. Through our fresh thinking and agile working, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
• Keeps abreast of relevant industry and professional developments and contributes to thought leadership.
• Builds a personal network from which leads could be generated.
• Contributes to developing new business from own contacts and collaborative working with FSG colleagues or others in the wider firm.
• Supports the development, launch and exploitation of new initiatives and service lines to diversify the business.
• Takes part in networking events and introduces contacts to colleagues.
• Speaks at Grant Thornton seminars, industry and professional events.
• Acts as an ambassador for the firm where opportunities arise to raise the profile of FSG and Grant Thornton in the market place.
• Demonstrates an awareness of the full range of the firm's products, services and capabilities and contributes to cross selling.
• Participates in business development activities and contributes effectively to sales pitches and drafting proposals.
• Ensures client take-on is completed in accordance with Grant Thornton risk management procedures.
• Takes day to day management responsibility for delivery of client assignments.
• Effectively manages client expectations regarding fees, delivery and deadlines.
• Plays an active role in the Actuarial & Risk team, managing, mentoring, coaching and advising team members as appropriate and contributing to positive morale.
• Works collaboratively across all areas within the FSG to maximise our contribution to the firm and to clients.
• Acts as a role model for more junior staff and provides constructive upward feedback to more senior colleagues.
• Develops others, providing appropriate learning and development opportunities and interventions.
• Works in line with the firm's CLEARR values, of collaboration, leadership, excellence, agility, respect and responsibility.
• Seeks regular feedback and identifies and acts upon learning and development needs in order to develop technical and personal skills.
• Becomes expert (eg recognised speaker or "go to" person in department) in at least one technical area.
• Completes a timely appraisal and personal development plan for self and others, as appropriate.
• Meets CPE requirements and completes return on time.
• Meets all relevant requirements of Actuarial Profession.
Operations and results
• Prepares fee estimates and budgets for client assignments and can make and justify any required changes to these as the assignment progresses.
• Ensures assignments are delivered to budget and that any variances are escalated at an early stage.
• Ensures own time is utilised effectively, as well as time of staff on their assignments, and identifies opportunities to work more efficiently.
• Ensures fees are collected in a timely manner and debtors kept to a minimum.
• Adheres to the Firm's risk management policies and is aware of changes in the Firm's approach to risk management.
• Keeps senior managers, directors and partners informed of progress, promptly draws issues to their attention and implements agreed actions.
• Participates in the presentation of conclusions and recommendations to the client and discusses the implications and action points.
• Designs and undertakes high quality analytical work requiring minimal input from senior managers, directors and partners.
• Writes high quality, professionally presented reports, requiring minimal input from senior managers, directors and partners.
• Deputises effectively for senior managers and directors as necessary.
• Ensures all files are closed down on completed projects in accordance with Grant Thornton policy.
• Projects a confident and professional image. Minimum Criteria
The time you spend outside of work helps shape what you can bring to our firm. We value the commitments you may have outside of work and will consider all flexible working applications.
- IFA Qualified/Part Qualified
- MoSes/RAFM & Unify