We are MUFG. 360 years of heritage. A world-class set of businesses. And more than 180,000 employees in 50 markets. It’s no surprise that MUFG has grown to become one of the top five banks in the world. Our services include commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing. MUFG offers stability in an ever-changing market, providing services to high-profile clients worldwide. Our vision? To become the world’s most trusted financial group. You’ll help us achieve it.
Overview of the Department:
The Market Risk team is part of the broader Market and Liquidity Risk Management department and represents the firm’s second line of defence to monitor adherence to the firm’s market risk appetite.
Main purpose of the role:
Part of the Market Risk Management team in Risk EMEA which is responsible for sound risk management to support the achievement of MUFG Group’s strategic objectives and proper governance with regard to Market Risk and Liquidity Risk
In this role, the successful candidate will support a Director in Market Risk by focusing on both BAU and project related activities. The candidate will be supporting activities for Market Risk across MUFG’s banking arm and securities business under a dual-hat arrangement. Under this arrangement, the candidate will act and make decisions on behalf of both the Bank and the Securities business, subject to the same remit and level of authority, and irrespective of the employing entity
- Daily monitoring of market risk profile and adherence to the firm’s Market Risk Appetite
- Responsibility for second line review of market risk management reports working closely with the Front Office and other support functions.
- Explanation of significant changes in the firm’s market risk profile
- Be proactively involved in market risk stress testing and scenario analysis
- Preparation of market risk submissions to governance committees, e.g. Market Risk Management Committee, Risk Management Committee and Board Risk Committee
- Support for Market Risk projects
Experience working in a second line function, preferably in a risk-related role.
Skills and experience:
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- Experience of market risk metrics, particularly VaR, stress testing and risk sensitivities
- Good understanding of a broad range of capital markets products
- Strong Excel spreadsheet skills
- At least a 2:1 Degree or equivalent in a numerical / science based subject
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
- Strong numerical skills
Performance and Duties:
The role holder will be assessed in accordance with their employing entity’s performance framework and process with relevant input obtained from the dual hatting entity as relevant.
As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and emended in consultation with the role holder. The role holder will carry out other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the role as requested by their line manager or Department Head.
Managing Conflicts of Interests:
- The role holder will have responsibilities for both MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc.
- The role holder will be required to perform their duties and responsibilities on an entity neutral basis, without favour.
- The role holder is required to follow regulatory requirements applicable to ensure each business is appropriately supported and to maintain the legal entity integrity of each of MUFG Bank and MUS.
- Working terms are dictated by functional mandates, the terms of the Dual-Hat Arrangement Agreement in place between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc and any other relevant agreements entered into between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc.
- The role holder will have responsibility for identifying and resolving where there may be a difference or conflict in needs between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc, escalating to their manager where required.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.