Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (MUFG) is one of the world’s leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with over 360 years of history, MUFG has a global network with around 3,000 offices in more than 50 markets. The Group has over 180,000 employees, and offers services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
Overview of the Department:
The Operations division is a critical component in the running of all MUFG EMEA’s business activities. Comprising of c.100 employees across London, New York and Hong Kong, the function consists of Middle Office, Settlements, Collateral Mgmt and Operational Control, covering a diverse product range including Equities, Fixed Income, Derivatives, Commodities and Futures.
The division is responsible for processing and settling every trade booking, managing cash flows and ensuring exposure is efficiently managed. To compliment this the department plays a key role in ensuring the wide ranging regulations are consistently met. Operations also plays an instrumental role in business development and the introduction of new products and markets.
Main purpose of the role:
The Equity Transaction processing team provide support to MUFG EMEA Sales and Trading groups, facilitating accurate and timely bookings and providing pre and post trade execution maintenance. The team acts as an important link between the Front Office and various back office areas and is key to ensuring transactions contain the correct settlement information and that P&L is accurately represented as a result.
In addition the role demands high level external client focus in order to efficiently satisfy their diverse range of requirements and provide a service which out performs our immediate competitors.
This role is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic, intelligent and enterprising candidate to join the Equity Transaction Processing team. The role demands attention to detail and the ability to perform a diverse multitude of pre and post trade execution tasks to support our internal and external client needs. It would suit an applicant who has strong Japanese Equity Experience and has a clear understanding of front to back transaction workflows and the associated controls (i.e Reconciliations / Cash flows / Front to back trade flow understanding).
The role will offer the successful candidate an opportunity to learn the day to day tasks currently managed by the team and the expectation they will contribute to streamlining and enriching current processes whilst developing ideas (systemic and procedural) to support future business models
- Ensuring all transactions are captured and processes executed efficiently and accurately, allowing all trades to be confirmed and settled on a timely basis
- Full understanding of controls required to support the business, inclusive of reconciliations.
- Supports and assists in the resolution of day to day trade support issues
- Proactively assist other team members so as to maximize effectiveness and help provide effective cover in times of absents
- Understand all delegated roles and responsibilities, to a level of being able to cover that person efficiently and effectively in times of absents, such that there is no impact on team performance
- Help ensure Business Process Re-engineering maximises benefits to the organization
- Act as primary point of contact for all Asian based queries
- Ensure maximum internal and external client satisfaction is maintained at the highest standard
- To ensure all London/Asian queries are investigated thoroughly and resolved accordingly
- To ensure that management is kept informed of major issues escalated in line with company protocol
- To ensure that desk procedures and functional governance are kept up to date and that improvements are made when necessary in an effort to improve efficiency
- Ensure communication levels are kept at a premium when liaising with traders, Legal, other support areas and external counterparties
- Identify areas of improvement, propose change, and assist in ad hoc projects as and when required
- To assist in the development of desk colleagues and actively promote X-training
- Company’s policies and procedures as well as all rules, laws and regulatory requirements emanating from any of the regulatory authorities including, but not limited to, the FCA, and Health and Safety Executive are adhered.
- All agreed Bespoke related processes and procedures are performed within the mandatory deadlines to ensure complete client satisfaction
Skills and Experience (Functional and Technical):
- Comprehensive understanding of Japanese Equities
- Excellent organization skills and ability to priorities.
- Ability to work in a pressured environment and to meet strict deadlines.
- Show high personal commitment and a professional attitude to building and maintaining trusted business relationship across the organisation and with external clients.
- Strong understanding of front-back transactions flows and associated controls
- Understanding of regulatory reporting requirements
- Understanding of currency deadlines for settlement and funding purposes
- Ability to plan and priorities work according to requirements
- Strong understanding of position and transaction reconciliations
- Strong technical ability – marrying exemplary product knowledge with meticulous attention to detail and analytical skills
- Ability to speak Japanese (beneficial, but not essential)
Systems Experience –
- Bloomberg TOMS
- Word, Excel
- Euclid, SWIFT and its various message types
- Intellimatch preferred, but not essential
- Familiarity with Euroclear / Domestic market conventions (specifically US / deadlines etc)
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Ability to use initiative and work without constant supervision.
- Understanding and appreciation of client/trader focus.
- Ability to collaborate and partner across the organisation
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.