Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
Reporting to a Property Fund Manager and working as a sub team managing a group of fund(s) with a view to enhancing investment value for the benefit of shareholders/policyholders and mitigating risk.
The aim is to deliver consistent long term out performance and meet the strategic objectives of the fund in accordance with all applicable policies, procedures and guidelines.
Emphasis is to be the active management of the portfolio through local market knowledge and insight and effective engagement with tenants.
To be supported by maintaining a high-quality network of third party service providers.
The role will also require the careful management of each asset rental cash flow and the underlying residual value as well as identifying and assessing the optimum time to effect asset disposals having regard to fund strategy.
Management to be in accordance with Canada Life’s ESG policies and to include identifying opportunities to reduce energy consumption and the carbon footprint of each property.
What you'll do
Actively manage designated property fund(s) to create added investment value and to deliver consistent long term out performance having regard to risk appetite and profile:
• Develop and implement asset strategies for each property under management having regard to the overall strategy of the fund
• Establish local market knowledge and insight and pursue effective engagement with tenants. To be supported by maintaining a high quality network of third party service providers
• Manage the re-letting of vacancies and maintain void rate within strategic targets
• Manage rent reviews and lease renewals across the portfolio
• Monitor and review fund performance of the assets under management
• Assist with the management of fund liquidity
• Contribute to the external market valuation process and reporting
• Manage the portfolio in accordance with internal ESG policies and instigate and develop initiatives to promote and achieve carbon reduction
• Identify, appraise and implement opportunities to enhance asset performance through lease re-gears and refurbishment and redevelopment initiatives
• Responsible for day to day management of the assets in conjunction with accounts team and managing agents, where instructed. To include the management and monitoring of bad debt
• Assist with the implementation of fund strategy in line with strategic investment objectives.
• Internal reporting including preparing papers for CIO/EMIRC/Board approval. Maintaining accurate internal data records and processes to the highest standard
• Continue own development in line with team, department and divisional objectives
Desired Knowledge / Experience / Skills
• Experience of investment, development and asset management including market knowledge.
• Strong analytical skills and creative problem solver.
• Ability to develop and implement property strategies in a clear and logical manner.
• Good communication skills at all levels both externally and internally.
• Experienced negotiator and deal maker.
• Good wide ranging business contacts.
• Track record of making money through completion of individual property transactions
• Good understanding and ability to manage internal procedures and regulatory processes relating to individual transactions.
• Degree in Estate Management or equivalent (desirable) or a good degree in a numerate subject (essential)
• Professional qualification (Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors – MRICS) (essential)
What you’ll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you’ll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You’ll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development.
Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences