Assistant Company Secretary - 3 Month ContractOverview
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ 800 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the role
The team liaises with external resources such as registrars and external NEDs and lawyers. The team is responsible for the management of a number of listed funds, including Board meetings with NEDS, upkeep of the company statutory records, involvement in ad hoc projects, ensuring that relevant documents are filed on time and announcements made to relevant authorities in respect of all companies but particularly the listed companies.
The team is also responsible for ensuring excellent corporate governance on the various boards, via the AIC Code of Corporate Governance and the UK Code of Corporate Governance as well as ensuring compliance with the Companies Act 2006 and with the Listing Rules.
This role will assist the relevant Company Secretaries with the management of either private companies or venture capital trusts and/or a number of other limited liability partnerships/limited partnerships across the portfolio to enable directors and/or partners to fulfil their statutory obligations.
Essential Job Functions
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring effective servicing of a number of company boards and committees by arranging associated meetings, assisting with drafting agendas and collation and creation of board packs
- Ensuring the maintenance and timely update of ICSA Blueprint Company Secretarial records or on another global entity management and corporate governance portal.
- Organising annual and extraordinary general meetings
- Attending and minuting board meetings where required
- Arranging and recording ad hoc board approvals
- Filing statutory accounts including maintaining a timetable, liaising with the Finance Department and auditors, reviewing draft accounts, arranging board approvals, director signatures and timely filing with Companies House
- Monitoring and assisting with the filing of confirmation statements for the portfolio
- Managing the regular liquidity event procedure which includes; reducing companies' capital, attending project meetings, preparing capital reduction documentation and holding board meetings for multiple companies
- Assisting the Company Secretary with other ad hoc tasks as required including director changes, allotments, company acquisitions, new company incorporations, share transfers etc. and the required Companies House filings and such other duties as may be allocated
- Ensuring the maintenance and timely update of statutory records and registers (using Blueprint software or alternative systems where appropriate)
- Reviewing and maintaining certain processes and procedures where there is nominated responsibility for such
Job Specific Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
- Previous experience of attending and minuting board meetings essential
- ICSA qualified or part-qualified desirable
- Good working knowledge of Blueprint or other similar corporate governance portals essential
- Customer Obsession - is about putting the customers' needs at the heart of everything we do. We achieve this by listening, by making the complex simple and by delivering on our promises.
- Focus on Impact - is about making things happen. It's about recognising and avoiding the distractions. And it's about executing really, really well.
- Better & Better - is about having the humility to recognise that everything can be improved. We want a culture where everyone can put forward ideas and where people at all levels seek out, learn from and react positively to feedback.
- Personality matters - at Octopus. We want people who are willing to roll up their sleeves, are passionate about what they do, and who retain their humility despite all they achieve. We are honest, open and decent, always.
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place so, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile
Life is complicated enough. Don't make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you've got a great idea, don't keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high-performance culture.