We are MUFG. 360 years of heritage. A world-class set of businesses. And more than 180,000 employees in 50 markets. It’s no surprise that MUFG has grown to become one of the top five banks in the world. Our services include commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing. MUFG offers stability in an ever-changing market, providing services to high-profile clients worldwide. Our vision? To become the world’s most trusted financial group. You’ll help us achieve it. Please visit our website for more information - mufgemea.com.
Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) is responsible for supporting the EMEA Chief Risk Officer to implement an effective risk governance framework across MUFG EMEA, and providing a holistic view of the risks facing MUFG in EMEA, including environmental and social risk management. The department additionally performs risk appetite monitoring and reporting; scenario stress testing and capital adequacy assessments; recovery and resolution planning; model risk management; and new business and product risk governance.
The Governance team within ERM is responsible for developing and maintaining the effectiveness of the risk management framework in EMEA, implementing the risk appetite of senior managers and the Board of Directors through risk policies and ensuring that top and emerging risks are identified and managed working with stakeholders across EMEA.
NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
- Support the Head of ERM and the Head of Risk Governance in implementing an effective Risk Management Governance Framework for the EMEA region to ensure all risks are appropriately captured and owned; and that the 1st and 2nd line risk, policy and framework owners understand their roles and responsibilities over risks, controls, risk appetite and escalation processes
- Support the Risk Governance team in preparing key information for the Chief Risk Officer to update senior management on the risk profile including top and emerging risks.
- Contribute to embedding a healthy risk culture within the organisation
- Support the development and maintenance, with relevant risk specialists, international, regional and local risk policies, relevant procedures, and relevant risk committees to support the Risk Management Framework.
- Support wider ERM reporting and monitoring, including daily Product Risk Management, Recovery and Resolution, daily Back-testing of P&L and VaR and monthly Risk Appetite for inclusion in appropriate committee presentation materials.
- Pursue the objectives of the department by carrying out the personal objectives agreed from time-to time with the Chief Risk Officer and/or Head of ERM. For example, support broader ERM activities such as Reputational Risk Management, Product Risk Management, and Model Risk Management etc. as required by team or department head.
- Support the effective running of the monthly EMEA and International Risk Management Committee including preparation of materials including the coordination of the Top & Emerging Risk Report and EMEA Risk Heat-map.
- Support coordination activities in the Product Risk Management approval process for EMEA, including launch of new products and amendments to existing products.
- Support the development of clear, relevant and accurate risk information to ensure CRO provides relevant information to relevant governance committees.
- Support senior management self-assessments of adherence to policy
- Develop consistency of Risk Management framework between Bank and Securities and the broader EMEA region covering risk identification, assessment, management and reporting.
- Enhance risk governance framework to ensure appropriate challenge, oversight and escalation of business risks, whilst ensuring efficiency and effectiveness of sub-committees and other forums
- Manage reporting and capture of risk ratings across governance fora to ensure consistency and accuracy of reporting.
- Support Model Risk Management governance through an effective governance committee and model change process.
- Run the daily back-testing report to assess P&L against Value at Risk (VaR) working with Product Controllers to reflect any adjustments to attributions and escalate any outliers to the Head of ERM in a timely manner.
- Lead the coordination of the review of public financial risk disclosures, including year-end financial statements, with input from across the various risk types
- Plan and deliver training to other ERM team members on the daily and monthly risk reporting (e.g. Back-testing, Recovery Trigger Monitoring and Risk Appetite Dashboard). Support coordination of other regular training as required in relation to risk and provide transparency over activities and priorities
- Support the reviews of the international and EMEA policies to ensure that they remain fit for purpose, accessible and implement new policies as appropriate, ensuring appropriate stakeholder communication
- Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders within EMEA, International and Tokyo HQ and support the wider EMEA Network and responsibilities for MUS(EU) under the SLA
- Ensure timely remediation of audit points.
- Identity and implement opportunities to enhance the overall risk management governance structure and process by implementing solutions to achieve efficiencies or enhance control framework or manage costs.
- Research and report writing on broader governance developments (both internal and external) to support enhancement of the risk management framework (E.g. regulatory developments, best practice etc.)
- Deliver presentations to wider ERM team on broader governance activities to support training and awareness across the department.
- Support the development and delivery of ad-hoc project work (e.g. implementation of new regulatory requirements and/or new internal initiatives from Head Office).
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- A strong interest in risk management (e.g. risk assessment, risk governance, reporting, policies, risk appetite).
- An appreciation of what constitutes a positive risk culture.
- Understanding and experience of banking and/or investment banking services/global markets products and services.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
- Relevant experience of risk management within a financial institution.
- Experience of working across borders as part of a headquarter role
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law