Associate Director, Corporate Development
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
- Team is responsible for the acquisition and disposition of businesses, management of portfolio of strategic equity investments and divestments.
- Transactions include:
- Acquisitions and disposals of companies or banks, businesses, product or customer capabilities and portfolios to strengthen the core franchise of the bank.
- Strategic investments, alliances and joint ventures.
- NPL sales and structured entities to optimize value of charged off assets.
- Organic new market entry strategy by way of a representative office, branch or subsidiary.
- Special projects such as subsidiarisation and equity raisings.
- Executing transactions including (a) evaluation and preliminary assessment; (b) process/project management; (c) negotiation, signing and internal approval.
- Managing internal approvals
- Corporate Development function works with Regional CEOs and Global Business CEOs to identify opportunities to initiate or exit corporate investments, managing corporate investments on an ongoing basis, including opportunities with SC Ventures
- Work closely with the Regional CEOs and Global Business CEOs, the Group functional leaders and external advisers on transaction execution
- Evaluate the performance of the Group (and that of each of its portfolio of businesses) against its strategic ambitions, its own financial framework and market expectations. Consider and proactively discuss the optimum allocation of resources around the Group and any choices it may have to re-allocate capital and improve performance:
- Consider the capital resources available to the group.
- Anticipate the challenges the Group will face and present solutions to mitigate those challenges.
- Review transaction opportunities aligned with the strategic agenda of the Group:
- Deep understanding of the strategic ambitions and challenges of the Group and each Business.
- Establish a vision: proactively seek opportunities to pursue the growth agenda of the Group.
- Engage in an active dialogue to anticipate solutions to the growth agenda and challenges the bank faces in its various markets.
- External focus: maintain close relationships with potential partners, competitors and advisors to understand best practice and strategic aspirations.
- Execute on all elements of the strategic initiatives listed above.
- Execute the analysis and presentation of the evaluation of transaction opportunities:
- Strong corporate finance skill-set in structuring, negotiating and tactics.
- Broad understanding of the transaction's operational risk and how to best mitigate.
- Produce financial analyses and valuation models for transactions as a basis for deal structuring and negotiation
- Generate high quality research and analysis for transactions
- Support the preparation of detailed written memoranda and presentations describing the targets and transactions for review by senior management and internal and external stakeholders
- Assist in managing virtual physical data rooms and interfacing with potential bidders and advisors
- Drive the efficient execution of transactions from initial evaluation through to deal execution and negotiation of documentation:
- Evaluate the assessment of the strategic impact, the feasibility and challenges of a transaction.
- Assist in negotiating the structure, terms and conditions of the transaction.
- Ensure efficient management of post completion exposure to capital, reputational and operational risks.
- Help identify, assess, monitor, control and mitigate operational risks to the Group relevant to Corporate Development.
- An awareness and understanding of the main risks facing the Group and the role the individual plays in managing and communicating with the market regarding them.
- Ensure a full understanding of the risk and control environment in areas of responsibility including listing requirements and disclosure obligations.
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
- Responsible for delivering 'effective governance'; capability to challenge fellow executives effectively; and willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
Our Ideal Candidate
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Display the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead Corporate Development team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment. *
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters as they arise in connection with the role.
- Academic qualification required: Bachelors degree
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.