Automation Systems Engineer
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Columbia Threadneedle Investments
- 10 Oct 18
Working within the Database and Environments Support team to support Project, BAU and test teams delivery, by performing analysis, investigation and troubleshooting, installations, QA, environment refreshes, ticket resolution, code releases into the test/prod environments, configuration of applications, windows and sql server, helping Technology as a whole, deliver first in class IT solutions.
Project Consultancy Support:
- To provide detailed and accurate analysis on existing systems setup and configuration to delivery teams requiring support
- To provide technical consultancy for new projects requiring implementation setup with consideration of existing infrastructure architecture.
Incident and Request Management:
- Take ownership of Incidents and Requests assigned to the team ensuring they are completed within SLA.
- Identify and implement key service improvements to ensure an effective and efficient Incident and Request management process.
- Communicate effectively to both internal and external users.
- Escalate and manage incidents with the potential to cause an extended service outage, or where service levels are not being met, according to procedures in place.
- Ensure incidents and requests are:
- Accurately record resolution of Incidents and Service Requests to quality standards ensuring the information provided is sufficient for future investigation.
- Accurately record and prioritise Incidents and Service Requests against suitable SLAs and resolution targets.
- Aim to restore normal service operation as quickly as possible through the investigation, diagnosis and resolution of incidents where possible.
- Continually monitor internal DBA queues for new requests.
- Escalate incidents with the potential to cause an extended service outage, or where service levels are not being met, according to procedures in place.
- Identify candidates for Problem Management and feed into the Problem Management process.
The DBA & Env Team will provide support across the following technologies:
- Powershell scripting
- MS SQL 2012 / 2014 / 2016
- AWS/Azure cloud technologies
- Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2
- Hyper-V 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 R2
- Microsoft System Centre ( SCVMM, SCCM, SCOM and SCORCH)
- Basic Network Support
- All technologies in use across ColumbiaThreadneedle
- Actively monitor the teams’ workflow to ensure all incident and requests are completed within SLA.
- Assist and have input into maintaining CTI’s service catalogue and knowledge base to enable the prompt resolution of incidents, support and administration requests within agreed service levels. Keep abreast of evolving CTI technologies and identify potential opportunities for learning.
- Knowledge share across different tiers of support aiming to maximise the first time fix rate at the CTI Service Desk
- Through the effective use of a knowledge base, ensure sharing and transfer of knowledge both within the immediate team and across other teams within CTI IT Service Delivery.
- Identify cost effective opportunities for improvement and recommend solutions to meet customer and user requirements, where appropriate.
- In agreement with the DBA Team Lead, look for opportunities for team development in a manner consistent with company policy and procedures
- Develop internal team processes to ensure the integrity and quality of the service provision is maintained. Where possible, look for and propose opportunities to improve these at all times.
- Participate in a rota system to provide cover between 07:00 and 1800 Monday to Friday (as appropriate).
- Participate in an on call rota to provide 24x7 support
- Overtime as required, e.g. (power down, out of hours fixes for production environment).
- Escalate situations arising from customer complaints to the IT Service Manager.
- Work closely and build good working relationships with our American partners.
- Understanding of ITIL processes
Including Incident, Change configuration and Problem management.
- Infrastructure Appreciation
A good level understanding of CTI’s infrastructure and how it supports the business
- Technical Skills
A broad appreciation of technologies and challenges faced within an IT department, plus a good level of technical skills in the support tools used (Microsoft Service Manager & ServiceNow). Including:
- Some working knowledge of Windows Server (2008 and 2012r2)
- Working knowledge (3-5 years) of relational database platforms SQL Server 2012/2014/2016
- Working knowledge (3-5 years) of database architectures (Microsoft), transact-SQL and reporting tools
- Excellent Troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Scripting ability – TSQL, VB or PowerShell