Chief Risk Officer
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Kennedy Pearce
- 11 Oct 17 2017-10-11
Our client, an International Bank based in the West End are looking to recruit a Chief Risk Officer to join their expanding Risk Department. The Risk department’s responsibility is to identify, measure, assess and manage risk on behalf of the London Branch within the established London Branch risk appetite. The CRO is responsible for establishing the London Branch risk appetite and ensuring that it is aligned to the Group Risk appetite and the London Branch business as agreed with the London Branch Exco.
Main Responsibilities will include;
- Developing, managing and refining qualitative and quantitative risk reporting in all risk areas which meets the needs of the London Branch Exco in order to support effective decision making in line with the London Branch risk appetite;
- Working closely with the CEO - UK and Senior Managers across the business moulding a high-achieving, well-controlled organisation which can achieve targets safely;
- Continuously overseeing, developing, enhancing and embedding the Branch’s risk framework for managing risks across the Branch, ensuring that processes are fit for purpose;
- Together with the London Branch Exco and GCRO, setting the London Branch risk appetite (including but not limited to operational risk, market risk, liquidity risk and conduct risk) and implementing key risk indicators in order to monitor their performance in relation to the same.
- Embedding a positive culture of confident and informed risk-taking through training, communication and promotion of the agreed risk framework and in line with the Branch's risk appetite;
- Partnering effectively with third parties, regulatory bodies and others as appropriate and serving as a role model for high personal and corporate ethical values and standards of integrity in line with the Bank's core values; and
- Providing essential input as a member of senior management and the executive committee and credibly challenging the management of current issues and the development and implementation of strategy.
- Managing and participating in key decision making processes such as strategic planning, new products and services, compensation design with a particular focus on ensuring conduct risk is considered, identified and mitigated.
- Regularly and on an ad hoc basis, evaluate the risks faced by the branch and its overall risk profile with a particular focus on process controls.
- Ongoing evaluation of existing risks as well as the identification of new or emerging risks. Measurement should include both quantitative and qualitative elements.
- Internal risk controls remain fit for purpose.
- Collaborating with the relevant stakeholders (both internal and external) e.g. Group Risk, Internal Audit, Regulator to identify and implement best practices across the London Branch.
- Manage the London Branch Risk framework and monitor developments in real time to provide the right level of attention and action to Bank issues.
- Assesses and communicates information regarding business risks with functions across the organisation.
To be considered for this position, ideal candidates must have the following experience and skills;
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience of working within Risk Management in the Financial Services sector with a focus on a holistic risk management process for the Branch including but not limited to operational risk, market risk, liquidity risk and conduct risk.
- Strong technical knowledge as well an ability to translate this into practical solutions for the Bank.
- A strong ability to influence senior management both in London Branch and at Head Office.
- Leadership skills including the ability to manage risk and control activities in a financial operation and including an extensive understanding of Operational, Market, Liquidity and Conduct risk.
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and Presentation skills in particular targeting the relevant business area with a clear message.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Exceptional time management skills with the ability to thrive whilst working under pressure from a variety of different business units.
- Considerable knowledge and experience of best practice risk management and governance frameworks, methodologies and emerging practice in relation to the UK financial services.
- The ability to liaise closely with senior management by conveying and explaining operational or business information fluently and coherently in one-to-one and group situations.
- Exercise oversight over governance, risk and control arrangements in a financial operation.
- Problem solving and decision making skills, with the ability to analyse complex information to identify the key issue/action and drive resolution
- In addition to the duties listed, the employee may, from time to time, be required to perform other duties assigned by the line manager
- Proven ability to oversee a number of risk types, including credit, market, operational, investment, regulatory and strategic risk