Communications and Operations Manager
Who we're looking for
We require an individual with excellent experience of working in the financial services sector within a Technology function. The role we are looking to fill sits in the GTC Management Office (GTC MO), reporting into the Chief of Staff (CoS). The CoS is looking for a manager to assist with several key areas including all matters relating to people development, our Employee Opinion Survey, communications, education, the administration and management of the Senior Management Team meetings (please see the detail below), and ad-hoc projects for the Chief Technology Officer (CTO). Examples of these ad-hoc tasks / projects are the production of Regulatory responses, target operating model work, governance and elements of location and workforce strategy.
The successful applicant must bring strong organisational skills, an advanced level of training, engagement and education experience, excellent verbal and written English and interpersonal skills to foster working partnerships across the firm. The successful candidate should also have a strong foundation in change and change delivery, and have a good grasp of Agile and Agile ways of working. They will have a flexible outlook and be willing to perform varying duties depending on the shifting needs of the company and team. Additionally, you will understand technology operations and change priorities and able to present key issues and represent GTC to key partners.
We employ over 700 talented people worldwide operating from 16 offices in 9 different countries across Europe and Asia with over £41billion of assets under management.
Schroders has developed under stable ownership for over 200 years and long-term thinking governs our approach to in vesting, building client relationships and growing our business. Team Overview
Schroders Global Technology and Change (GTC) function is organised into a number of teams, distributed across Schroders' global offices, with Technology hubs in London, Zurich, Luxembourg, Singapore and New York.
The software development and technology change function is split between 4 domains: Asset Management Technology (comprising Data, Distribution Technology, Operations Technology, Private Assets Technology and Product Technology); Corporate Technology; our Digital practice and our Wealth Technology domain. In addition there are teams which operate as shared services to Technology namely Infrastructure Production Services (production support, release and access control), Information Security, Enterprise Technology and the GTC Management Office in which sit our Business Management teams (change management, assurance and reporting) and our Chief of Staff.
Our application estate comprises mainly commercially-available off-the-shelf software packages best suited to Schroders' operational needs, complimented by a number of internally-developed proprietary systems to support the specific needs of the clients and products that our colleagues support.
The Global Technology vision is to ensure a stable operating environment that can function at multiple speeds, that focuses on value delivered to our external and internal customers. With a culture of excellence through collaboration, innovation and continuous improvement, Global Technology enables Schroders to deliver the best outcomes for clients and shareholders.
In order to ensure that the emergent technology needs of our clients, regulators and internal stakeholders are able to be met quickly and effectively Schroders has implemented agile working practices within Global Technology. So that this is achieved without compromising the stability and security of the platform, Schroders Global Technology is implementing a bespoke agile operating model, based on the SAFe methodology, which ensures that technology support and infrastructure is unaffected and the requisite governance and control is in place. What you'll need to do
You will support the Chief of Staff and the wider GTC MO to drive the progress of our strategy and support our operational activities.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Reviewing and evolving our approach to training working in partnership with L&D
• Current capabilities and identifying new ones needed for the continued evolution of our workforce
• Administering access to one of our technical training tools for a population of approx. 300 employees
• Identifying, producing and analysing any metrics to help track progress
Employee Opinion Survey feedback:
• Reviewing and analysing the survey feedback
• Identifying and agreeing action plans
• Oversight of implementation and tracking of progress
Communications and education:
• Working with key groups across GTC, identify and communicate key success stories
• Assist in collating and writing communications for key news events, updates and announcements
• Ensure consistent branding across all GTC communications
• Ensure publication of events attended by GTC staff, and support for GTC award application process
• Assist in identifying and preparing content for key events (town halls, live chat sessions and so on)
• Continually evolving the GTC induction, to ensure it contains the right information and content for new employees
• To assist in the forward planning of the agendas for the Senior Management Team (SMT) meetings and onsites/off sites. Assist is producing meeting materials supporting specific agenda items
• To help track and progress SMT actions
• Drive and support new governance meetings as required, for example a change board
• Ensure mandatory training is completed on time and chase incomplete training
• Assist the CoS and work with the SMT to set out good and bad conduct behaviours and outcomes. Ensure these topics are discussed in team meetings, townhalls, live chats etc. Develop a code of conduct for GTC - good behaviours include speaking and listening up, timely escalation, respecting colleagues, sharing information
• Define and report on metrics which help determine the cultural health of GTC
• Write 'Tone from the Top' messages on key cultural topics to be send by the CTO and GTC SMT. Topics could include policy reminders, importance of speaking up, escalation, knowledge sharing etc.
Strategy and Ad-hoc:
• Coordinate the response to due diligence questions from clients across the various GTC functions, ensure timely completion and that responses are stored in the due diligence database
• Assist the CoS in developing, tracking and reporting on metrics against the delivery of the GTC strategy and realisation of benefits
• Assist the CoS in the definition and maintenance of GTC location and workforce strategy plans, including what processes and associated headcount are located across the Schroders global campus.
• Overseeing / initiating cross SMT projects or initiatives, e.g. Agile framework review
• Adhoc presentations to senior management and the regulators on behalf of CTO The knowledge, skills and qualifications we're looking for
• Knowledge and experience of technology within the financial services industry operating in a multiple location role.
• A proven track record of defining, executing and implementing ongoing training and education for Technology and Change employees
• Experience of working with Communications' teams and implementing communications to a global audience
• Experience of digital delivery and agile techniques
• Contribution and adherence to company standards including evidencing as necessary
• Experience of working with 3rd party managed service suppliers
• Financial services background What you'll be like
• Friendly: people the world over like working with you, and they're never afraid to ask you for help
• Interested in the latest tech developments and innovation, and how you can use them
• Calm: you're positive under pressure and happy to take the lead in challenging times
• Gutsy: you know 'good' isn't good enough. So you solve problems and challenge the status quo to find better ways to do things.
• Confident and self-motivated;
• Analytical, assertive and result-orientated;
• Able to get the best out of people across various locations and cultures;
• Effective communicator (both internally and externally).
• Proven collaboration skills.
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications regardless of sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.
Note to Agencies:
Schroders does not accept speculative CVs from agencies. We do have a PSL who are invited to support us when required. We only pay fees to agencies instructed to send CVs and are submitted through our recruitment portal. We do not pay fees on speculative or unsolicited CVs sent to Schroders or Schroders employees and reserve the right to contact unsolicited CVs directly.