At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ 800 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the role
The team liaises with external resources such as registrars and external NEDs and lawyers. The team is responsible for the management of a number of listed funds, including Board meetings with NEDS, upkeep of the company statutory records, involvement in ad hoc projects, ensuring that relevant documents are filed on time and announcements made to relevant authorities in respect of all companies but particularly the listed companies.
The team is also responsible for ensuring excellent corporate governance on the various boards, via the AIC Code of Corporate Governance and the UK Code of Corporate Governance as well as ensuring compliance with the Companies Act 2006 and with the Listing Rules.
This role is to be responsible for and manage a number of private companies or venture capital trusts and/or a number of other limited liability partnerships/limited partnerships across the portfolio to enable directors and/or partners to fulfil their statutory obligations.
Essential Job Functions
- Co-ordinating, attending and drafting meetings (including board, AGMs and internal committees') agendas and timely collation of board/committee packs using Virtual Boardroom
- Timetabling of Board meetings with directors and attendees
- Management or Risk and Audit Committee meetings, including in relation to the preparation of the meetings and attending and minuting minutes
- Liaising with Boards in between formal meetings and dealing with ad hoc Board queries
- Drafting annual and interim reports in conjunction with various inter group Finance functions
- Coordination of production of prospectus and shareholder circulars in connection with potential listed VCT fundraises and ad hoc corporate events
- Drafting and publication of RNS announcements for any listed VCTs where required
- Dealing with ad hoc Board queries and approvals
- Ensuring the maintenance and timely update of ICSA Blueprint Company Secretarial records or on another global entity management and corporate governance portal.
- Ensuring statutory compliance with the Listing Rules, Companies Act and other regulatory requirements including statutory filings and administration following allotment of shares, transfers of shares are made in a timely manner
- Liaising with external providers of professional services including lawyers, auditors and registrars, as required
- Review of documents being submitted to the Boards
- Providing guidance to the Boards/management on any new applicable law/regulations
- Managing regular share allotments, capital reductions, share transfers and share consolidations/subdivisions/re-designations
- Managing dividend payments and other distributions including distributions in specie
- Dealing with statutory filings and administration following any statutory change of company details
- Supporting with the provision of company or director KYC/due diligence documentation
- Company incorporations and name changes (by electronic formation/change)
- Oversight of the statutory accounts timetable for all companies
- Oversight of the confirmation statement timetable for all companies
- Ensuring the maintenance and timely update of ICSA Blueprint Company Secretarial records
- Management of board training and board effectiveness
- To assist in the management (where required) of the annual liquidity event for Octopus Capital Limited, in conjunction with Octopus' Corporate Team and the registrar.
- Acting as a source of technical advice and support to internal functions
- Review and upkeep of certain processes and procedures for which they have nominated responsibility
- Other responsibilities as agreed from time to time
- Experience of annual corporate cycle
Job Specific Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
- ICSA qualified (essential)
- At least 12 years post qualification experience
- Experience of corporate governance for PLCs
- Experience of corporate governance for VCs/Investment Trusts highly desirable but not essential
- Excellent understanding of the Listing Rules, AIC Code of Corporate Governance, UK Code of Corporate Governance, UK Companies Act
- Good detailed knowledge of Blueprint or other or on another global entity management and corporate governance portal.
- Experienced minute-taker of lengthy, free-flowing meetings
- Management/supervisory experience
- The ability to communicate confidently and effectively with personnel at all levels
- Excellent organisational and personable skills
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place so, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile
Life is complicated enough. Don't make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you've got a great idea, don't keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high-performance culture.