The UK Branch of Silicon Valley Bank Financial Group (the Branch) is subject to the Market Abuse Regulation (MAR), which aims to prevent manipulation of financial markets, including insider dealing and unlawful disclosure of inside information. The Branch is also subject to the Financial Conduct Authority’s (FCA) requirements to appropriately manage its conflicts of interests (COI). The Branch is establishing a Control Room to support its compliance with the underlying regulatory requirements and facilitate the effective management of the underlying risk.
In this role, you will report to, and assist, the Senior Director, Compliance and Regulatory Relations (the “Senior Director”). You should have experience of a control room environment and have detailed understanding of MAR / COI systems and registers and the underlying regulation. You will need to be able to handle a variety of related matters including the provision of timely advice, management of an ongoing testing programme, supporting the ongoing project to establish a Global Control Room structure in conjunction with SVB US and working independently, as well as in partnership with the rest of the team and the business as a whole.
Primary duties in this context therefore are to:
• Update and maintain the MAR / COI risk assessment;
• Support the implementation of the Global Control Room structure, including the migration to a new platform, development of revised policies and procedures and communication to, and training of, business colleagues;
• Act as the contact point for Relationship Banking and other key functions for support with creation of insiders lists;
• Monitor the completeness of, and maintain the integrity of, Insiders data held in the system;
• Develop and undertake a series of monitoring tests to provide satisfaction to the business that MNPI is being controlled effectively;
• Update and maintain the Conflicts of Interest Register;
• Provide thoughtful, relevant and tailored advice and guidance to the business on MAR / COI issues;
• Produce meaningful management information on MAR / COI compliance to the Branch’s governing committees;
• Support regulatory relations and reporting required in respect of MAR / COI;
• Keep up to date with relevant regulatory publications and consultations to analyse changes and provide support thereafter to business unit changes to implement these changes in a timely manner.
You should also be able to see clearly the key issues and objectives in complex issues and understand what action should be taken to achieve that objective. You will need to be able to stand your ground where appropriate on contentious issues but do this in a way which ensures productive conflict and ensures that the interests of SVB remains paramount. You will be expected to think and act in a way which suits the organizational practices of the Branch, is client centric but still meets regulatory expectations.
You must have a proven track record in meeting deadlines and expectations on deliverables in a high energy, hard working environment.
Knowledge / Experience
Relevant regulatory experience, ideally gained in a Control Room environment, regulatory body or regulatory audit. Strong knowledge and understanding of the MAR and COI regulations. Degree level qualification or relevant work experience supported by professional qualifications and a commitment to a minimum of 10 hours Continuous Professional Development training a year.
Skills / Competences
• Strong oral and written communication skills;
• Sound judgement and granular analytical skills;
• Time and priority management;
• Relationship building;
• Open / available;
• Empathy and pragmatism;
• Courageous integrity;
• Professional curiosity.
You should have an entrepreneurial, collaborative approach and a flexible style that allows for the input of others. You must share the following core values of SVB:
• An emphasis on achieving the organisation’s goals, versus individual achievement;
• An “enterprising” approach with creative problem solving; and
• A focused and results driven mindset.