Compliance Officer, Control Room
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Société Générale - UK
- 17 Oct 17 2017-10-17
Compliance Officer, Control Room
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like “hard work” and “dedication” together with “community” and “respect” has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
Description of the Business Line or Department
Mission Statement of SEGL/CFT/GBS (Compliance Global Banking services):
“To enhance and maintain a robust compliance framework, in partnership with all stakeholders, to execute the firm's strategy in accordance with its risk appetite, regulatory expectations and industry best practices”.
In order to achieve its mission statement, GBS Compliance activities are centred around five key objectives, in support of senior management, business lines and resource functions, where the business lines have first level accountability and responsibility, and where GBS Compliance's responsibility is with respect to compliance, reputational and conduct risk matters. These five key objectives are as follows:
• Providing advice and policy development
• Facilitating knowledge and awareness
• Undertaking monitoring and surveillance activities
• Performing risk assessment, review and control activities
• Managing the relations with regulators
The Control Room is part of the London Global Investment Banking Compliance department under the responsibility of the Head of the Global Investment Banking Compliance (SEGL/CFT/GBS/GIB).
SEGL/CFT/GBS/GIB has three main functions:
Control Room: includes, among others, recording and conflict clearing of upcoming private side transactions, handling of all control room processes including the sharing of confidential and inside information, the management of restricted and watch list, clearance of research, personal account dealing, quality controls
Advisory for Private side business (Global Finance-Corporate Banking): including advising on deal related matters and regulatory issues, ensuring compliance with policies and procedures, training and management of reputational risks.
SSD: Monitoring of positions and trade collection, Central reporting, Regulatory watch of disclosures rules
Summary of the Key Purposes of the Role
The Compliance Officer of the Control Room provides pro active support to the Control Room activities within the Investment Banking Control Room team:
• Ensuring appropriate identification, management and resolution of conflicts of interest arising from the investment banking, relationship and research business line
• Ensuring the performance of all Control Room processes
• Providing and ensuring that the team provides timely advises on internal policies regarding conflicts of interest, Chinese walls and other control room processes as described below within the remit of the London/Paris Control Room team in EMEA.
Summary of Responsibilities
• To ensure that appropriate conflicts checks are undertaken ahead of new deals from private side business lines. To capture and record, where required, conflicts in the conflicts management system and to make the appropriate and prompt notification of the results of the conflicts checks to the relevant business lines, once the conflict checks are completed
• To ensure that any conflicts of interest arising from private side activities are dealt with timely in accordance with the Conflicts of Interest Policy and are proactively reported, as appropriate, to the relevant business manager(s) and/or to the relevant IB advisor within the Global Investment Banking Compliance team
• To maintain theWatch, Restricted and Insider Lists and associated processes
• To clear the Investment Research against the Watchlist and Restricted list and maintain the input of conflicts of interest data into Investment Research systems, including for regulatory disclosures
• To maintain Chinese wall and Chinese wall crossing procedures, and ensure that wall crossing requests are actively and promptly handled with.
• To handle and ensure the recording of breaches arising related to CR processes, and escalate as appropriate.
• To assist with trainings to the business lines and other members of Compliance on CR process related topics, liaising as appropriate with the Governance and Regulatory Programme team
• To help ensuring timely and accurate responses to enquiries from regulators
• To run the process for personal account dealings, approving requests of SG London Branch staff as required per the Personal Investment Policy in the UK, and support the Compliance Steering and Control team as required for personal dealings by Paris staff
• To process and maintain the register of Outside Business Interest for SGLB staff
• To assist the team in charge of threshold disclosure to ensure that the appropriate shareholder positions and trades regulatory disclosures are made timely in the UK under the Companies Act and the Takeover Code.
• To engage proactively with the Communication Surveillance and Trade Surveillance teams, contributing to highlighting potential areas of risk and drawing practical recommendations from findings
• To liaise with other control functions, in particular with Audit on audit missions and data leakage investigations, providing timely information as requested
• To liaise proactively with control room in other locations on a regular and frequent basis, ensuring consistent and coordinated approach to control room process, working on reinforced harmonisation of best practices and translation of regulatory development onto Control Room processes.
• To proactively support IT departments and business analysts for the continuous improvement of IT tools of the Control room (including insider list and conflicts of interest tools)
Level of Autonomy and Authority
The role involves autonomy on a day to day basis , but active liaison with the team manager as appropriate
The postholder will be expected to understand relevant rules and regulations, familiarise themselves with internal policy and processes and exercise judgement on matters where required.
The postholder will be expected to proactively allocate items to themselves from the shared e mail inbox.
Specific context :
Post holder acts as a member of a Control Room, Paris-London based team, and must actively encourage a team approach, with frequent interaction and communication across all areas of the Compliance Department.
Post holder must actively encourage communication and interaction with compliance colleagues from the advisory in Paris, London and EMEA locations as well as with NY and HK control rooms.
Travel to Paris as necessary
• Teamwork capabilities
• Ability to make Decisions
• Flexibility - Adaptability
• Ability to Work Under Pressure
• Communication Skills
• Influencing skills
• Presentation skills
• Experience in a Control Room, covering the broad spectrum of Control Room processes.
• Strong working knowledge of global regulatory rules relevant to capital markets and financing is an advantage
• Graduate level
Fluent English; French an advantage, but not prerequisite
If you feel you have the required experience and qualifications, then please apply to the SG Resourcing Team, and we will manage your application. At Societe Generale, we believe our people are our strength and are core to the success of our business. As such, we search for, recruit and appoint the best available person on the basis of aptitude and ability, regardless of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or gender reassignment.