Construction Manager/ Senior Manager - Solar
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £9.1 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. Job Description Octopus Renewables
Octopus Renewables sources, invests in, and actively manages a wide range of utility scale energy assets. We are looking to expand our team as we continue to scale our investments base.
Since entering the renewables market in 2010, Octopus Renewables has grown to become the largest investor of solar power in Europe, and a leading investor in onshore wind. We currently manage a global portfolio of over £3bn renewable energy assets. The operational portfolio includes over 300 energy generating companies, delivering revenue in excess of £250m pa. The operational activities include solar power parks, wind farms and gas fired peaking generators.
Our energy investment and asset management team of c.70 professionals is one of the largest and most experienced in Europe. The team is structured to support our rapid growth ambitions and long-term ownership of energy assets. About the role
We are looking for an experienced Construction Manager / Senior Manager (Solar) to work within the Asset management function, with a focus on new SOLAR farm construction (including managing handover to operational team) and to support on oversight of major remedial works in the existing portfolio as required.
Reporting to the Solar Asset Director he/she will advise and be accountable for all technical and operational issues from pre-acquisition, through to construction and operation of the solar farm life-cycle by working with the Investment team, our outsourced technical advisors, owner's engineer and asset managers. He/she will take pride in improving the quality of the assets through construction performance. The role will be London based and will require some travel to sites within the UK and Europe. Whilst we are looking for a permanent appointment we will consider fixed term contract. Please advise in your covering note whether you are looking for a permanent or fixed term contract. Outline of responsibilities
- Sign-off and drive all aspects of construction management, including; selection of EPC or split scope contractors, appointment and oversight of advisors, quality, timeliness, budget control, permitting and ensuring HSE requirements (including CDM requirements) are met and adhered to.
- Development, oversight and management of the Solar construction risk register.
- Identify and prioritise construction risks/opportunities and manage programme to mitigate/realise same.
- Challenge Technical Advisors on Technical Due Diligence reports including, but not limited to; yield assumptions, snagging items, plant improvements and operational efficiencies.
- Work closely with the Investment team to assess new construction assets being considered for acquisition, including reading, critiquing and summarising reports from advisors, developers and sellers.
- Support Commercial Asset Managers to ensure end of warranty inspections are completed and maximum value is extracted from EPC/OEM contractors.
- Support senior managers on projects/issues/initiatives across all technology types as required.
- Advise the Commercial Asset Managers on the technical aspects of commercial issues and negotiations.
- Investigate the root causes of any construction under-performances and/or issues affecting the assets and advice on potential and also innovative solutions available in the market.
- Read, critique and summarise all reports from operational subcontractors such as EPC contractors, asset managers, O&M contractors.
- Advise on the appropriateness and cost of any works proposed on the sites.
- Input to the technical scoping of new operational contracts to be executed, such as O&M or asset management.
- Prepare regular progress and management reports.
- Support all aspects of complying with grid, planning and other permits.
- Work closely with the commercial team on any due diligence prepared for transactions such as bank financing or sale of the assets and in the preparation and negotiation of the EPC Contract, in particular of the technical appendices.
- Develop concise Scope of Work Templates that can be used as standards (ex. Technical DD SoW for Operational sites / Technical DD SoW for sites to be constructed / Owner's Engineer SoW for solar Construction etc).
Additional Information Our Values and DNA
- Extensive experience of solar/ general energy construction project management oversight roles, including a good knowledge of the European solar industry and contractual frameworks
- Degree or professional qualification in relevant engineering discipline; electrical, mechanical or civil engineer
- Knowledge of HS&E associated with construction and operations
- Detailed knowledge of solar construction gained from time served as construction site manager or project manager.
- Have experience of key technology utilised in solar power generation having preferably worked with Tier 1 Original Equipment Manufacturers, being cognisant of technology trends and innovation.
- Previous management of EPC contractors for solar projects as well as contract management, (including the management of Health & Safety and commercial claims management for on-going operations).
- Comfortable interpreting engineering drawings, specifications, project programmes and GANNT charts, procedures, permits and tender documents as well as contracts commercials, cash flows, invoicing, cost control and risk analysis and mitigations.
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines on multiple projects simultaneously.
- He/she will be an excellent communicator at all levels, particularly when translating technical information for non-technical teams.
- Flexibility and "can do" attitude
- Willingness to train and support others
- Able to critically examine and question information from a variety of sources
- High commercial and numerical acumen
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we're always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best. What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.