Consultant, Cloud Engineer, Business Operations – System Design & Engineering (SD&E), London
Your opportunity Technology is an exciting and thriving area of our consulting practice.
We have a diverse practice of over 1800 practitioners working across the UK on challenging engagements across a wide portfolio of clients. Our breadth and depth of technical capabilities enable us to be both trusted advisors and implementation partners.
We are a global leader in Cloud Computing and we are growing our team working on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure solutions, helping clients by delivering solutions from hybrid on-premise right through to wholly Cloud based. We are looking for Cloud Engineers with a passion for one or more of:
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
- Platform Implementation on Cloud
- Bespoke Solution Implementation on Cloud
- Cloud Migration
- Cloud Integration including hybrid on-premise/Cloud
- Cyber Risk Transformation
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
Want to work with the latest technologies, as part of a team helping international organisations transform their core business capabilities? Whether you're working with on-premise systems, Cloud technology, or custom-developed solutions (to name just a few), your expertise will help clients deliver continuous improvement and innovation, from initial design right through to implementation and optimization. Your role
Reporting to the Delivery Lead / Project Manager, the Cloud Engineer is focused on working with and leading colleagues in the implementation of Cloud based solutions. This can involve both advisory and delivery roles and any of architecting; building; securing; or monitoring; platforms and solutions in the Cloud.
You will collaborate with teams to get our solutions deployed into the Cloud securely. This could involve creating containerised or Cloud development environments through to working with our testing colleagues to analyse the security of a live customer facing system.
This role is an opportunity to stretch your skills in the latest technologies as well as understanding the business imperative for our Cloud solutions.
Your role will have multiple responsibilities depending on the project type. In one project, you might build an application optimised for the cloud, using automation to test and deploy the application into production. In another project, you might convert a manual runbook or provisioning processes and automate them using tools such as Ansible or Terraform. From an operations perspective, you will be required to set up monitoring and alerting for AWS workloads so we can support our clients' needs on an on-going basis.
Your work, your choice
- You have a passion for technology
- You will understand what it takes to deliver and support high quality solutions that align to the needs of our clients
- You will develop scripts to automate the deployment of AWS/Azure architecture and solutions
- You will be responsible for securing clients' systems and protecting their data using best of breed tooling such as Splunk and DataDog
- You will capture and share best-practice knowledge within Deloitte cloud teams
- You will be a problems solver and will troubleshoot and improve existing DevOps processes as well as provide support and advice for development teams
- You will be a self-starter and will actively recommend improvements to applications to increase resilience and performance
- You will be curious and want to develop your knowledge of all the current and future technologies we leverage
How long does impact take? How long is a piece of string? How many seconds does a solution contain? How can we possibly tell? After all, impact can be huge or small. Immediate or years in the making. At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk.
We, therefore, carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. If the working pattern you are looking for is not specifically indicated below, we are happy to discuss alternative arrangements.
You will be based in a Deloitte London office, however travel will be required for client based projects. Whilst some clients are London based, we do spend time on site with regional and international clients. We specify full mobility for our consulting roles but we make arrangements respectfully, there may be some opportunity for working from home depending on client demands.
This is a permanent opportunity. The role can be worked on a full-time basis. Your professional experience
We expect you to have skills and experience in the following:
- Experience of Amazon Web Services (AWS), such as EC2, VPC, S3, Cloudfront, Route53
- Experience administering Linux and/or Windows workloads in a Cloud or Virtualised environment
- Experience of automation and provisioning approaches, using tools such as Ansible, Terraform, Chef or similar
- Demonstrable experience in one or more scripting languages, Bash, Python, PowerShell or similar
- Knowledge of agile software development tools and methodologies (Continuous integration, GitHub, Jenkins or similar)
The following will be an added advantage:
- Internal or external consultancy experience
- Solution architecture experience
- Certifications in either AWS or Azure
Additionally, we expect that you possess the following core consulting skills:
Your service line
- Ability to adapt to new technologies, learn quickly and pass on this knowledge to other team members
- A solid focus on team working within diverse and remotely located teams
- A "can do" attitude - Hands-on & flexible approach to emerging requirements and a real willingness to learn and participate
- Good communication skills, with the ability to convey complex ideas to different audiences within an organisation, and effectively engage with groups ranging from domain experts to senior functional leads
- Strong documentation ability and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Consistent track record of prioritised planning to work within tight project planning constraints
- Able to identify risks and issues and provide mitigation approaches
- Enthusiasm and passion for the delivery of market leading solutions that make a difference
- Professional working proficiency in the English language
- Understanding and awareness of the commercial and reputational risks Deloitte may encounter and the appropriate mitigations
Our people and the way we work are the two things that set us apart in the consulting universe. For us, collaboration is fundamental to success, along with an unrivalled depth and breadth of expertise. We work closely with our clients and each other, at every stage of every project, solving our clients' trickiest problems with a mix of knowledge, creativity and intellectual rigour. A hugely diverse range of clients rely on us to deliver the kind of change that adds genuine, lasting value to their business.
We don't just work with our clients to manage risk, we help them understand and grab the opportunities it presents too, helping them gain a competitive advantage. Our expertise and industry knowledge run deep here. At Deloitte, you'll find yourself working with some of the most inspiring and experienced colleagues and with clients who trust you to lead the way to smart choices, better control frameworks, and new systems, including bespoke solutions that have a direct impact on their bottom line. About Deloitte
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent. What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world. Beyond the UK: North West Europe within a Global firm
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,500 partners and over 40,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people. What do we value?
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service. We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture, and we support agile working arrangements. Hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways
. We are proud to have earnt a Top 10 place on the 2018 list of Top 30 Employers for Working Families
for the eighth consecutive year, and to have been listed in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women
for each of the last four years. Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work - and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but we require five leadership imperatives from all of our people:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
© 2019 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 166228