Our client, a branch of a mid-sized International Bank is growing their Corporate Risk Team and are seeking to hire a talented individual in this exciting and new role.
- The job holder will act as the 2nd Line of Defence responsible for providing risk oversight for branch-wide risk management activities delivered through the Branch’s Risk Appetite Framework (RAF) and the Risk Management Framework (RMF) in light of enterprise risk management and financial risk management. The job holder will provide risk oversight in accordance to the Branch’s RAF and RMF, strategies, approaches and support risk governance structures to manage risks effectively.
- This is an assistant manager role with specific responsibilities for managing credit risks as well as for the enterprise risk management and supporting the Head of Department who leads CRMD operations within the Branch.
The Branch’s RAF and RMF
- Responsible to enhancing the Branch’s RAF and RMF as follows;
- Plan, promote, continuously enhance and embed the Branch’s RAF and RMF to ensure it adequately and effectively addresses branch-wider risks and is aligned to the Branch’s strategic objectives.
- Continuously develop and embed regulatory / industry practices to ensure the Branch’s RMF and RAF are fit for purpose.
- Maintain the applicable policies and procedures (setting of the overarching standards and procedures) together with supporting risk strategies for risk acceptance, avoidance, management and control of risks.
- Develop the Branch’s risk capabilities (including staff training) to ensure completeness, coherence and maturity of the RAF and RMF.
- Maintain the applicable risk appetite framework articulating the level of risk the Branch is willing to accept in pursuit of its strategy as well as supporting tolerance levels, risk definitions and categories.
- The job holder provides support to the Head of Department who act as Risk Control Committee (RCC) Secretariat with coverage from respective 2nd Line of Defence risk functions including: CRMD (financial risk), Operational Risk Management Department and the Compliance Department (CD) (for conduct risk only).
- Responsible for providing risk oversight over the Branch’s business activities under the supervision of Head of Department, which include:
Assessment and management of Credit Risks arising in the EMEA Credit Risk portfolio (including monitoring and challenging the Front Office when required).
Pro-actively monitor events, news or actions that could impact the credit ratings or the credit portfolio. Exercise controls in approvals of transactions generating credit risks.
- Providing advice to the Branch Management on risk strategy, including the oversight of current risk exposures of the Branch, with particular, but not exclusive, emphasis on prudential risks;
- Developing of proposals for consideration by the Branch Management in respect of overall risk appetite and tolerance, as well as the metrics to be used to monitor the Branch’s risk management performance;
- Oversight and challenge of the design and execution of stress and scenario testing;
- Oversight and challenge of the day-to-day risk management and oversight arrangements of the Branch Management;
- Oversight and challenge of due diligence on risk issues relating to material transactions and strategic proposals that are subject to approval by the Branch Management; and
- Providing advice, oversight and challenge necessary to embed and maintain a supportive risk culture throughout the Branch.
- Provide independent assessment and monitoring of the Branch’s risk profile under the supervision of Head of Department through:
- Cooperate with other 2nd Line of Defence (e.g. ORMD and CD)
- Risk events.
- Key performance and risk indicators.
- Tracking of progress and issues.
- Monitoring of key controls comprehensively at the whole branch level, and where necessary request that the 1st Line of Defence departments and other 2nd Line of Defence) report risks.
- Monthly reporting to relevant governance committees.
- Review and monitoring or Risk Registers and control self-assessments and where applicable, provide recommendation, guidance and advice from the perspective of the enterprise risk management.
Risk process and methodology
- Build risk awareness amongst staff (in particular of corporate credit risk) by providing support and training across the Branch.
- Responsible for providing risk oversight to the 1st Line of Defence and / or risk owners across the Branch to embed risk processes and methodologies to ensure:
- Risks are identified to address individual, aggregate and emerging risks and consideration of industry wide risks (where applicable);
- Risks are assessed in accordance with measures defined in the risk appetite and supporting tolerance with appropriate action plans to control risks;
- Risks are monitored through 1st and 2nd Lines of Defence risk reporting to the Chief Risk Officer, the Branch Management and Head Office.
- Responsible for providing tasks within the Department working closely with the Head of Department through:
- To produce and complete regular risk management reports including preparatory works such as data input, market rate collection and data reconciliation.
- To supervise and assist the other members of the department in producing and completing their tasks.
- To ensure filing of all the regular reports after completion of circulation to the relevant management.
- To plan and implement for the formalising documentation and changes in procedures and policies
- To improve and make necessary changes on applications (e.g. Excel spreadsheet and Access Database).
- To plan and implement for the new business supports.
- To liaise with the relevant departments on activities and information produced.
- To produce and complete materials used for the monthly Risk Control Committee.
- To assist and coordinate with junior members in producing and completing materials used for the weekly and monthly Management Meeting.
- To carry out general administration duties relating to the department’s activities.
- To carry out such other duties as requested by the Head of Department.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Relevant university degree or relevant risk management qualification.
- Risk management experience demonstrating strong familiarity with credit risk control (in particular of corporate and project finance) with knowledge of risk management framework, processes and methodologies. Of which, experiences gained in front office and support / control functions.
- Experience with working with global financial services institutions or consultancy practices with Branch and Head Office structures considered an advantage.
- Proven history of using data for problem identification, monitoring and reporting to understand broader business risks and issues for enhanced decision making.
- Proven aptitude to adapt to changing business environment between detail execution and high level strategic thinking.
SUPERVISION & REPORTING LINES
The job holder is responsible for the operations of the department with direct reporting line to the Head of Corporate Risk Management Division.
Branch-wide Heads of Department and all relevant staff across the 1st Line and collaboratively with the 2nd Line of Defence and Head Office (where applicable).