Corporate Sustainability Manager
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
In a newly created role for Wellington Management, the Corporate Sustainability Manager will define, implement, lead and oversee the firm's internal, global corporate Sustainability efforts, and will be an internal ambassador for Sustainability. This position requires strong collaborative and cross-functional relationships with senior stakeholders across Wellington's three divisions (known as the Infrastructure, Client and Investment Platforms) and will report to the Chief Operating Officer of the Infrastructure Platform.
The Sustainability mission at Wellington Management is well advanced, particularly as regards to sustainable investing. However, it is now necessary to create a comprehensive, all-encompassing, well-defined firm-wide strategy, drawing all the strands together. This individual will integrate Sustainability into the firm in a way which aligns with Wellington's mission, sustainable investment priorities (which are not part of this role), client priorities, the business, and directly contributes to the bottom line. The mandate also includes ensuring that the firm remains compliant with relevant regulations / certifications (mandatory or optional) and has a robust monitoring and reporting capability (e.g. KPIs).
Essential responsibilities and expectations of the Corporate Sustainability Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Building a comprehensive global corporate Sustainability program.
- Define the program through interaction with stakeholders and interested parties.
- Socialize the program, obtain senior management support and implement globally.
- Draft, communicate, and implement necessary practices, policies and procedures.
- Help build the infrastructure to assist with necessary corporate ESG / Sustainability reporting and disclosure obligations.
- Partnering with the business to develop a deep understanding of the firm's business and strategy, and thus seek to integrate Sustainability in all aspects of the client and firm experience. Working alongside the business to innovate and contribute to business value.
- Acting as the firm's internal Sustainability advocate and subject matter expert.
- Working closely with, and seeking advice from, the Director of Sustainable Investment (and team), to ensure the global corporate Sustainability program complements that which is taking place in the Investment Platform.
- Developing close relationships across the firm in order to draw together all existing internal and external corporate Sustainability initiatives.
- Establishing relationships in the Client Platform in order to engage with clients if necessary.
- Defining, championing and benchmarking the firm's internal corporate approach to Sustainability / ESG:
- Proposing and implementing strategies to reduce and /or offset the firm's global carbon footprint.
- Setting environmental goals and developing initiatives to meet such goals.
- Leading the collection, analysis and reporting of information contributing to sustainability metrics and the firm's sustainability "story" (including KPIs) in support of education and awareness and reporting requirements.
- Benchmarking vs. peers.
- Producing an annual corporate Sustainability report (for internal and external consumption).
- Monitoring the effectiveness and appropriateness of the corporate Sustainability program and identifying improvement opportunities in accordance with the firm's appetite and market, client and regulatory forces.
- Potential for advising the firm on its internal Governance.
As noted above, this role will not work on sustainable investing, and does not include how ESG is integrated into the Firm's investment process, nor evaluating the ESG practices of the companies in which Wellington invests.
The successful candidate will have some of the following:
- 10+ years' relevant professional experience; preferably with some asset management industry experience.
- Thorough knowledge of global Sustainability practices and applicable laws and regulations; and experience in successfully implementing a Sustainability program.
- Sustainability is a cross-functional program, and as such, the successful candidate will have the ability to collaborate effectively, professionally and diplomatically across departments and Platforms.
- A proven ability to cultivate and maintain strong business relationships at all levels and across disparate groups within an organization, especially when tying together existing Sustainability efforts which exist in different functions.
- Excellent communication skills. We believe that for a Sustainability program to be effective, communication is key: distilling complex concepts for the lay person, explaining the value proposition of Sustainability, persuading and influencing across all levels of the firm.
- Listening, connecting and translating the needs of different stakeholders into business opportunities and risks.
- Strong presentation skills; demonstrated ability to present to committees, boards and senior management.
- Strong attention to detail and well organized; ability to prioritize, multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Ability to think strategically and have vision while also focusing on the details and execution.
- Self-motivated and works well independently; capable of taking initiative without prompting.
- Proven history of delivering complex projects across functions. Ultimately becoming an agent for change.
- Strong problem-solving techniques, including the ability to identify, research and resolve unfamiliar issues and ability to clearly communicate issues to key stakeholders.
The Corporate Sustainability Manager will be based in one of these two locations - Wellington's office in Boston, MA (280 Congress Street) or London, UK (80 Victoria Street). SKILLS JOB TITLE
Corporate Sustainability Manager LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .