- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Société Générale - UK
- 19 Feb 18 2018-02-19
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like “hard work” and “dedication” together with “community” and “respect” has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
Description of the Business Line or Department
CORI is the Coverage and Investment Banking division of SGCIB. It offers a global advisory approach focused on strategic dialogue with clients. CORI offers clients the whole range of services offered by SG CIB and the Group, with a particular focus on investment banking and commercial banking activities. CORI provides tailor-made solutions to corporate, financial institutions, the public sector and family offices.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
• Assisting the Coverage & Investment Banking COV team as a full time associate.
• As an Investment Banking Associate you will work directly with the Lead CORI bankers, the coverage team in charge of UK clients and various business lines globally.
• You will work to support both origination and execution across a range of products, including debt/hybrid capital markets, risk management, banking services, M&A, equity/equity linked as well as debt/risk advisory services.
• The Investment Banking Associate carries out a wide variety of tasks, including financial statement analysis, financial modelling, company and industry research, and preparation of client presentations, deal memoranda etc, both in the context of the origination and execution of transactions.
Summary of responsibilities
• You will work to support the overall building of core corporate relationships and on both origination and execution across a range of banking products for COV clients. This will typically involve pitching and executing debt capital market transactions (including hybrid debt), FX/rates risk management solutions, commodity risk management, cash management, trade finance, lending, pension risk management, advising clients on their capital structure as well as strategic discussions around M&A and equity and equity-linked issuance.
• In this context, you will also be in charge of liaising with (product) experts typically based in London and Paris in the dedicated SG Business Lines and building relationships with the junior members of those teams.
• The coverage and investment banking associate carries out a wide variety of tasks, including financial statement analysis, financial modelling, company and industry research, and preparation of client presentations, deal memoranda etc, both in the context of the origination and execution of transactions.
• You will, alongside the CORI Bankers, also retain responsibility for the monitoring of the risk on your portfolio of names to ensure that the Bank's resources allocated to those names is not put at undue stress therefore managing and controlling credit counterparty risk in liaison with coverage support, CCG and RISQ as well as ensuring that counterparties are properly internally rated in line with their credit profile.
• You will also have full involvement in all credit related topics around your portfolio of clients either on regular management of files or discussion of more difficult files (Watch list, …) in line with SG policies, but not limited to, ensure monitoring of potential regulatory risk, fraud risk, execution errors and possible commercial disputes with his clients or other parties.
• Conduct Risk & Regulatory responsibilities- you will also be responsible for monitoring of operational and conduct risks across your portfolio of clients as well as ensuring compliance with policies, procedures in the management of the clients' relationships
• You will also be responsible for ensuring that confidentiality is kept on all clients sensitive matters, by using all relevant compliance tools when necessary (Chinese Wall, Gilt list, …) and follow thoroughly all KYC requirements, for existing clients or prospect clients
Limited delegation to junior bankers, interns as appropriate as well as to the CORI/COV/COS team for help with middle office procedures around your client portfolio
Level of autonomy and authority
All decision making to be done in association with the supervising Managing Director and the CORI Banker in charge of the global client relationship
• Has advanced accounting knowledge, legal knowledge, market rules/listing rules knowledge
• Has advanced valuation and modeling knowledge
• Is developing good to advanced marketing skills - has drafting skills on marketing presentations, legal and process documentations, client presentations
• Develop specific skills for financial and regulation analysis
• Is developing strong to excellent knowledge of Corporate Finance concepts and products (M&A, ECM, EQL, STG…)
• Is developing good to advanced industry/sector knowledge, understands key industry trends
• Has excellent command of Office tools and relevant databases
• Ensures reliability of all analyses and figures
• Has strong command of English in an international deal-making environment
Results orientation – Supporting the business
• Is reliable, achieves results within objectives: has strong commitment to deadlines (internal and external) and shows ability to drive analysts/ interns to meet such constraints
• Demonstrates execution capabilities in various transaction processes
• Autonomous on most aspects/tasks of marketing or execution
• Assumes responsibility of work produced under own's supervision: Ensures reliability and accuracy of all analyses and figures produced by team
• Shows project management skills: is able to wrap up the key basics in the process, efficiently communicates with team, shares information, defines clear roles and responsibilities within the junior team.
Client orientation / Presentation skills
• Has strong written and oral communication skills: Shows ability to develop impactful client contact at working level
• Shows ability to develop client contact at working level
• Develops judgment and maturity
• Seek feedback, organizes follow-up and involve the appropriate teams to handle client issues
• Balances immediate client needs against both the client's long term requirements and the Bank's long-term relationship
• Shows potential to be a key professional with selected clients of the firm, develops multi-product approach
• Operates at all times with the highest standard of care (and in compliance with all GBIS policies and procedures) to ensure protection of the SG franchise from the risks of doing client business, including, but not limited to :
- possible commercial disputes with our clients or other parties (complaints about our advice),
- regulatory risk (market reporting failures, conflicts of interest issues),
- fraud (and other criminal activity including money laundering, corruption and bribery),
- credit risk (especially as regards ECM underwriting)
- and execution errors on transactions.
• Shows strong commitment to the job, hardworking, is able to deliver under demanding conditions
• Shows initiative and curiosity, is proactive
• Always acts professionally with clients and colleagues
• Checks decisions are implemented and procedures respected, and take responsibility on both failures and successes
• Sets high standard of performance for self and others
• Promotes simplicity over complexity and favors simple solutions
• Proposes new ideas and contributes to the change process
• Adopts new technologies in his/her activity - actively contributes to change implementation and support peers and more junior staff in the change process
If you feel you have the required experience and qualifications, then please apply to the SG Resourcing Team, and we will manage your application. At Societe Generale, we believe our people are our strength and are core to the success of our business. As such, we search for, recruit and appoint the best available person on the basis of aptitude and ability, regardless of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or gender reassignment.