Credit Analyst (based either in London or Frankfurt)
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 16 Jul 18 2018-07-16
We are looking for a Credit Analyst to either be based in London or Frankfurt to provide insightful, relevant, succinct and timely credit analysis of a portfolio of SCB's clients, incl responsibility for proposing counterparty credit grades via the relevant scorecard, the completion of General Wrong Way Risk assessments and ongoing monitoring for credit-material events, as well as the monitoring of all covenants and risk triggers.
While the portfolio will be industry / geography specific in focus, the role extends to analysing other clients as may from time to time be required.
Insightful - Attuned to the needs of two audiences - Client Coverage and Risk - the analysis should provide a forward-looking, focused opinion on the likely development of both business and financial risk elements in their industry / geographic context together with a calibrated articulation of key risks and potential mitigants thereto.
Relevant - As well as a holistic counterparty assessment, analysis should comment on structural elements relevant to SCB's existing or proposed exposure such as guarantee and security arrangements
Succinct - While always providing sufficient granularity to substantiate its conclusions and observations, the analysis should present opinion in as structured and succinct a manner as is practical
Timely - While focused on the prescribed annual review cycle, analysis will also be required where material new exposure is being considered by Client Coverage. In addition, more summary analysis should be produced and disseminated quickly, where relevant
Additionally, for any BCA submission it will involve the following:
- Critical review of Environment and Social Risk Assessments, Appropriateness and Suitability Assessments (FM Products) and Client & Group Facility Summary & Structure (including Terms and Conditions), proposed Covenants and Risk Triggers;
- Consistency and coherence review of the limits proposed, Approved Account Plan, Raptor (or equivalent) and other static data (risk profile, compliance aspects)
- Overall accountability for consistency and coherence of the complete BCA package submitted to Risk will rest jointly (and severally) with Credit Analysis and the wider Client Coverage (GAM/FAM/ARM) team and is a key element of this Job Purpose.
To partner the team's two key stakeholder communities, Client Coverage and Risk, supporting the former in developing and executing their client strategies and both in respect of credit analysis-relevant matters. Maintaining integrity in analysis at all times is critical.
This includes frequent and iterative discussion with both Client Coverage and Risk around draft analysis, key sector / geographic trends, as well as discussion of covenants, risk triggers and the like. It involves proactive idea generation and discussion with Client Coverage around potential business opportunities for SCB, assisting both Client Coverage and Risk around transaction structuring and execution, where relevant, and identifying and alerting stakeholders of emerging risk aspects on a continuous basis.
To assist CA Team Leaders in projects focused on improving and enhancing the activities of the team, as well as the quality of credit analysis produced.
This includes coaching and supporting the development of newer and less experienced members of the team
- Credit Analysis
- Timely drafting of credit analysis as directed by the relevant Team Leader. Such analysis should be Insightful, Relevant and Succinct (see Job Purpose) and include the following, inter alia:
- Discussion of the dynamics and nature of the Client's industry, including key risk aspects;
- Assessment of the Client's competitive positioning within its industry;
- Discussion of management strength, experience and track record and corporate governance more broadly;
- Articulation of the Client's strategy and an assessment of its clarity and associated execution risks;
- Assessment of funding strategy, financial policy, treasury activity (hedging, cash management) and liquidity
- Development of a current / forward year base forecast performance expectation
- Assessment of balance sheet strength, alongside cashflow and profitability vulnerability, via ratio analysis and/or stress testing
- Discussion of other pertinent risk aspects, including country risk, parental and/or governmental linkage/support, relative ranking of indebtedness
- Evaluation of risks associated with particular proposed transactions, where required
Experience & Skills:
Solid experience gained either in banking, treasury or accounting environment. Candidates with experience in structuring and executing deals with European Global Corporates would be preferred.
Strong analytical ability, focused on the assessment and calibration of credit risk
Strong verbal and written communication skills (in English), with proven ability to work across cultures and within a dynamic environment
Able to hold credible dialogue at all levels of the organisation, as well as with clients
Well organized, able to multi-task and balance competing demands
Graduates (or equivalent knowledge)
Sound knowledge of accounting and financial principles gained by experience or qualification
MBA or CFA qualifications advantageous, but not required
Relevant language skills: we are looking for an Analyst covering European Global Corporates. Hence relevant language skills like German or Swedish would be an advantage.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.