The primary responsibility of the Debt New Issues team is to manage the operational issuance and settlement process for primary deals supporting the Debt Capital Markets (DCM) group and Treasury function.
The team manages the primary closing activities across a wide number of markets and acts as a point of expertise for the global peer group. The New Issues team forms part of the Fixed Income Operations department, which is a function within Securities Operations. The aim of this role is to strengthen technical and market industry knowledge within the function and to drive a closer relationship with DCM. HSBC has a strong track record for primary debt issuance and this business forms a major revenue stream within HSBC.
Key deliverables of this role include the following:
- Manage the day to day processing of the New Issues function and act as dedicated point of contact and resolution for all activity relating to primary issuance of Bonds, MTNs, CDs & CP.
- Manage the day to day activities of the issuance and settlement function relating to new issues, focusing on key risk indicators and priority clients.
- Work closely with DCM (includes Origination, Transaction Management & Syndicate Desk), clearing systems, common depositories and IPAs to bring successful issues to market, protecting HSBC's reputation as a major Debt Issuance firm
- Support the migration of the New Issue operations activities which align under the BREXIT program.
- Accountable for adherence to the FI Ops control framework including weekly/monthly risk and control reporting, internal /external audit requests and the monthly Post Trade Control Pack.
- Initiate process improvements which include representing the New Issues team in working groups to deliver process re-engineering projects to streamline the operations process and reduce operating costs.
- Work closely with the off shore sites to provide assistance / support where required.
- Onshore team provides front office and sensitive client escalation points.
Role Context (The environment and operating conditions of the role including the extent of guidance and authority)
1. Ongoing day to day support and guidance from immediate manager.
2. Strong support and guidance from the Senior Management Team
3. Strong working relationships with peers in Fixed Income Operations globally and other Operational Teams.
4. Form strong working relationships with DCM Transaction Management Team, Origination, Syndicate Desk, and other Stakeholders / Customers.
5. Responsible for the day to day processing of the New Issues business originated from London and Paris.
6. Ensure appropriate daily sign off for own roles and responsibilities.
- Specific experience working in an Investment Bank New Issues operational environment.
- Good understanding of the Debt Products for New Issues for Syndicated Debt Issuance , MTNs, CDs & CP.
- Knowledge of primary closing mechanics for a variety of markets to include but not restricted to, Euroclear, Clearstream, Crest, US, France, Italy and Spain.
- Understanding of general fixed income settlement mechanics.
- Understanding of operational risk and control.
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to develop strong relationships with the business.
- Ability to problem solve, articulate requirements and escalate with minimum input from senior management team.Works closely with peers to proactively resolve issues.
- Ability to drive change and process enhancements.
- Strong teamwork skills - flexible to changing requirements within the team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills