Local Pensions Partnership (LPP) manages the investments of local government pension schemes (LGPS); it was formed in 2016 and has over £17 billion in assets under management. Its Investment Strategy team, responsible for asset allocation, (macro-economic) research and modelling, has been undergoing significant growth, both in terms of its remit, as well as its resources.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our close-knit, fast-paced team which works closely with pension trustees on one side, and Investment Directors on the other. The Investment Strategy department has direct influence over the proposed top down investment approach, including specific investment recommendations regarding asset allocation, as well as oversight of the asset classes.
Under general guidance of the Deputy Chief Investment Officer (Deputy CIO), the role will provide leadership in the context of the Investment Strategy team. As a member of the Investment Strategy team, the individual will work to maintain broad oversight of asset allocation, macro-economic research and modelling, ensuring consistency across investment reporting, evaluation of current resources whilst raising areas of concern.
- A key component of this role is the management and development of the Analyst talent pool presently, 1 senior analyst and 2 analysts. This involves in all aspects from recruitment and development to work allocation and planning.
- Working with the Deputy CIO and Supporting the Senior management team to manage and oversee the asset classes.
- Working closely with the Deputy CIO, support the development of the long-term investment strategy and recommend the most appropriate asset allocation to ensure that the investment portfolio meets LPPI’s clients’ long-term investment objectives. Contribute to the oversight of the strategic and tactical asset allocation processes, including reviewing, providing feedback and ensuring a consistent and high standard of the macro-economic analysis, modelling and liquidity/cash flow projections.
- Oversee the monitoring of LPPI’s asset class pools to ensure they remain appropriate for the investment strategy and operate in accordance with relevant agreements. Work closely with Risk and Operations to ensure the smooth exchange of information and identification of synergies where relevant.
- Identify, recommend and implement opportunities to enhance efficiency of the implementation of the investment strategy.
- Contribute to the development of LPPI’s investment strategies, business plans, policies and be accountable for the implementation thereof. Contribute to effective briefings and presentations to the Board and Committee members.
- Manage the Investment Strategy team of analysts by supporting the implementation of the team’s strategy and development of team members. Coordinate the development of strategies to ensure effective resourcing, appropriate infrastructure and successful implementation of investment committee policy.
- Thorough understanding of the key characteristics, risk and features of different asset classes, as well as valuation principles and market structures.
- Knowledge of asset allocation and portfolio construction within a multi asset context. Knowledge of ALM principals, liability modelling and allocation “flight path” design.
- Modelling capabilities including the use of Bloomberg and other data sources to carry out econometric analysis.
- Exceptional leadership skills, with a proven track record of thinking strategically and driving a team culture that harnesses resources and development.
- Strong investment market literacy, with experience in managing investment portfolios, ideally in the pension fund industry
- Highly effective communication and relationship management skills including personal credibility in delivering strategic information to peers and Executive Committee to facilitate high level decision making.
- Strong numeracy skills, with the ability to analyse, interpret and make recommendations based on complex and conflicting information.
- Demonstrable advanced people management skills with the ability to lead and motivate a team through staff management processes. These include effective performance appraisals and implementing continuing learning and development plans to aid succession planning.
- A proactive, self-motivated team player who has the ability to work independently, set strategy and direction for self and others, and manage a high workload with multiple deadlines ensuring expectations are managed throughout.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant financial or analytical discipline.