DevOps Engineer – Cloud Native Service Infrastructure
- Location: London, England, United Kingdom
- Salary: Competitive
- Job Type: Full time
DevOps Engineer – Cloud Native Service InfrastructureIn January 2018, we launched one of the industry's largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn't greenfield in the way most banks claim projects are; we've started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. We're using the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using: aggressive use of multiple public clouds, building our own private cloud to achieve even better performance, pushing out microservices into what will be one of the largest Kubernetes installations in the world, leveraging immutable storage to process and store hundreds of terabytes of data a day, transforming our industry through application of distributed ledger technology and cognitive computing, aggressively participating in open source communities driving our systems.
This role is to join an international team that is responsible for our shared infrastructure in the Cloud Native Computing ecosystem. The platform that we are responsible for is based on Kubernetes (pure upstream: we believe in Kubernetes The Hard Way) along with a host of other ancillary technologies (such as fluentd, envoy, Istio, Calico, Helm). The team's remit is a true 24x7 DevOps mandate.
We are a geographically distributed team, with engineering hubs in London, Belfast, and Austin, Texas.
You will work on a daily basis to support our Kubernetes-based clusters in a DevOps fashion.
- You should be experienced with automated deployment of infrastructure technologies.
- You should be familiar with having a multi-stage pipeline for infrastructure changes and deployments
- You should understand operational playbook development (as we perform some operational support functions and act as first-line support for all our client teams)
- You should be familiar with automated infrastructure testing and continuous monitoring
- You should understand developing fault tolerant systems in modern cloud environments (such as AWS, Azure, or OpenStack)
- You should be comfortable working in a Kanban-style agile fashion
We use a combination of Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible, Python, Concourse, but are happy to interview candidates who don't have those exact technologies but similar ones (such as Puppet, Chef, etc.)
Successful candidates will:
- Appreciate infrastructure engineering, be focused on complete automation, and be familiar with GitOps
- Be familiar with working with 24x7 follow-the-sun support models, including the needs of shift handoff and distributed office coordination
- Have excellent English language communication skills
- Experience working in engineering organizations
- Appreciate the value diversity (in all its forms) brings to our team and company
- Experience working in a financial services environment is not required or expected. Most of our team have never worked in finance before.